Restoration/Refurbishment of my Ornmaskiner/Storebro Lathe

The Landshark

Active User
Registered
As i posted in the Vintage Machinery thread i Picked up a 1963 Ornmaskiner GS-210.
It had been exposed to the elements for some time and generally not cared for.
This is how it looked when i got it.
20140314_150908.jpg

Not a pretty sight, but the coating of oily dirt kept the worst of the corrosion away.

I was also pointed in the direction of the tooling that remained with it, rust again taking a good hold.

20140407_182819.jpg

The electrical installation, more corrosion, this will have to be replaced in its entirety.

20140315_120458.jpg

I have been going through the machine over the last few weeks and seems like it hasn't sustained any serious damage so its going to get a good overhaul,
the bed and ways seem in good shape apart from a few minor dings, the gearboxes are a little stiff but all move ok,
the motor is apart for overhaul at the moment, the windings showed quite a low resistance but its sitting on a heater tonight and ill assess it tomorrow when the damp has been driven out,
If theres interest ill post up here how things are coming along, this will take a while though,
in the meantime here's the tooling after being cleaned, not too bad i think.

20140417_190017.jpg

If theres interest ill post up here how things are coming along, this will take a while though

You're joking right?

C'mon with it! Can't wait!

See post above this post ....Clean up very nice ....That's a bench top model ,right?

See post above this post ....Clean up very nice ....That's a bench top model ,right?

Ok ill keep the posts coming as the project progresses, as for being the bench top model, i wish it was, it would make it easier to move,
it's a 200mm x 2000mm (i think you guys would call it a 16", with 6'6" centres) and my 3 tonne forklift needed some weight adding to the back to lift it, it must be up on 2.5 tons.

If your tooling and parts are any indication of how well the lathe cleans up, it's going to be a nice project. Please do show and tell!

David

Got a few more bits cleaned up, and a little paint applied, ford tractor blue, i have half a gallon left from another job so may as well use it.
The compound, toolpost and cross slide, the thrust bearings on the cross slide feed screw are rusted so i'll see can i pick up a set tomorrrow,
theres also a little wear on the power feed gear on the same feedscrew, ill put it back together as is and see what its like.
It was only after i cleaned up the handwheel that i realised the lathe is graduated in imperial, for some reason i assumed that being Swedish it would be metric, although in 1960's Ireland imperial would have been the norm, i may have to look at fitting DRO as most of the work it will be doing will be metric.

20140423_194936.jpg

Got new bearings in the motor, after a day sitting on a heater the resistance went up to over 10 megs,
put power to it and it runs sweet as a nut,
A quick coat of paint and it'll do fine, security fence green for this one, i'm sparing the blue and the motor wont be seen under the swarf pan.

20140423_195452.jpg

Thats it for today anyway, might be a few days before i can get back to this but we'll see

Scroll chuck cleaned up,

20140424_181926.jpg

And the steady rest got some attention too

20140424_182006.jpg

Next up is remove the apron, saddle, leadscrew and tailstock and get a better look at the bed.

I was wondering about removing the headstock from the bed, or should i just leave it alone?

Interesting and different....keep em coming :thumbzup:

Bernard

Its apart, broke it down into the major blocks
the bed looks in good shape,
a few dings but nothing a rub of an oilstone wont sort

20140426_182203.jpg

headstock and feed gearbox ok, but i think the oil seals are shot, forgot to take a photo of the feed box when it was opened,
didnt open the headstock gearbox yet,

20140426_182124.jpg

20140426_182116.jpg

Ill have to rent a steam washer and get the worst of the crud off but ill be away for work for the next week so it'll have to wait,
meantime i have a few of the smaller bits to bring with me so ill keep you posted on the progress

So, managed to score a non functional steam washer, it now works to an extent, enough to do a bit of cleaning,

20140510_175411.jpg

20140510_175423.jpg

Also got the tailstock cleaned up and painted while away at work,

20140510_175436.jpg

Spent most of the time fixing the steamcleaner so not much else done, will post more as it happens

Back