Resources For Series I Information..?

stalfos

Registered
Registered
So I'm working on a haul the likes of which I have never seen, I will have pictures of everything starting Friday and proceeding onward after I get all this equipment home and have a chance to sort though it all...

That having been said, I'm attaching a picture of a bridgeport head that was provided by the current owner as it's all I have at the moment. It's a complete machine but hasn't been used in years.

First things first, are there any good definitive guides or how to's on how to move one of these things? And second, can anyone identify this machine or even just the head type based on just the one terrible picture and possibly point me in the direction of some resources on it? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all! 00j0j_l1W1BO0iLPS_600x450.jpg

That is a variable speed unit AKA a 2J head.

This site has a lot of info on rebuilding these : http://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/
Also, you can get a pdf of the manual here, IIRC it has some rigging instructions in it: http://hardingeus.com/usr/pdf/knee mills/seriesipartlist4302plus.pdf

I have some pictures from moving mine home. I don't know how much space you have at either end of your move, but an engine hoist will be useful. If you can wrangle the use of a forklift, even better.
The 6x12 U-haul trailer works very well. I uses one and I have seen several other members use them. If you get one, make sure NOT to get the one with the ramp. it will just get in the way of lifting the mill off of the back. Rollers and a 4 ft prybar are other useful accesories. To prepare for the move, turn the head upside down, put a couple of 4x4 on the table and raise up the knee to support the head. Also, remember to crank the table as close to the column as you can. The most common lifting point is the ram right around the main column. just make sure to tighten all the clamps prior to lifting.

Good luck getting your baby home. We are looking forward to the pictures.

Beautiful! Thank you very much sir! Greatly appreciated, trust me.

Regarding the engine hoist, that may not necessarily be an option, at least in this case. On the other hand however, I have access to a 4k lb capacity knuckle boom attached to one of my work trucks which conveniently has a flat area of the bed that's pretty much perfect for this whole thing. In fact, I may be able to kill 2 birds with one stone here and load up the lathe that's included with this whole haul and get that home at the same time. I figure, with creative use of careful rigging, a very large prybar, a pallet jack and other odds and ends, there's really not too much I should have an impossible time moving.

I do have one question though... the directions I skimmed just a bit ago for rotating the head mention a "safety pin" somewhere that needs to be pulled to allow the head to rotate it's full 180 degrees. Is there any way you might be able to describe this a bit better? None of the instructions I have seen actually show it on any diagrams (that i can tell anyway) and as this is a machine I'm unfamiliar with and have extremely limited time to get moved, I'm trying to make sure I have as many questions as possible answered in advance.

Thanks again for the reply, the pdf was downloaded immediately and I'm sure to make use of the rebuild instructions as this machine hasn't been used in years and will surely need some work.

I'll try to get out to the garage and take a picture in the morning. The pin is located near the ring that allows the head to swivel.

Well, a truck with a knucle boom, that is cheating :) And a pallet jack to boot... I think you are pretty well set up there. I don't know how big that lathe is, but for a smaller one, a pair of furniture dolleys is very helpful (I used them on a 12x24 clausing). Also, keep in mind that lathes are VERY top heavy and that the Headstock has more than 2/3 of the weight in it.

Good luck

Awesome! Thank you again! Greatly appreciated. I forgot, I actually do have one more picture of the mill and I'll throw in a few of the other pics as well... these were all provided by the current "owner" who pretty much inherited all of it and wants nothing to do with any of it. Light surface rust on lathe ways, etc but nothing I can't clean up. Haven't really had a chance to inspect much else. I can worry about all that after its home. Hopefully they'll attach the way I'm expecting....

I will have more soon. Already making plans and enlisting help. :)

01717_g2BOlVo9xcr_600x450.jpg 00j0j_5vYbRNBGPaC_600x450.jpg 00D0D_fR7kz2hcUZD_600x450.jpg 00M0M_hYI6cVrCOIR_600x450.jpg 00P0P_d4CcJqgFRhp_600x450.jpg

H&W Machinery Repair, and many others, have a Bridgeport rebuild manual that I have used to rebuild my Bridgeport mill. Written by a third party, with great instructions and photos for complete disassembly and assembly. There is one for the belt driven, and one also for the variable speed version that you have. Also, I have dealt with H&W on various parts for my mill and I would recommend them if you need answers or parts.

That looks like quite the collection :) Maybe you should just make an offer on the existing building and save the trouble of moving it all :) Seriously, that looks like a very good way to get into your own shop. Hopefully you can also get some of the smaller odds and ends (cutting tools, measuring instruments, clamps etc) that most of us forgot about when we first looked into getting a shop set up. It seems that stuff can easily cost you more then the initial machine purchase.

Best of luck getting everything rigged.

Oh, and I almost forgot the most important moving accesories: a couple of friends to help wrangle everything. Just remember to stock up on their beverage of choice for when the job is done :)

Hi stalfos,

Wow instant shop!
Congrats on the major haul. :encourage:

It seems that stuff can easily cost you more then the initial machine purchase.

Henry has that correct. You can easily spend more in accessories, collets, bits, etc. than the original tools.
Look carefully around the location you are moving them from for any additional equipment hiding under benches and the back of shelves.
Luckily, you can also build a good quantity of the extras, once you get set up.

-brino

I had a lathe identical to that Enco until a few years ago. Make a few bucks with it and sold it to a guy who builds mini drag sleds. I may still have the manual. Seems (IIRC) I couldn't find it when he came to get it. I'll look if you need it. Mine was a 1983 model I bought from a guy who raced boats, so it didn't see much use then.

Back