Requiem for a Circular Saw.

Same isle as the left hand adjustable wrenches Jeff ! ;)

I have a few good blades for "precision" cutting although most of that is done with the radial arm saw, the table saw, or the compound miter saw. Nowadays, rough cutting, as in demolition, is done with the reciprocating saw.
Seems I pressed the wrong button. . . I have, and had at the time, a Sawzall with a demolition blade called "The Ugly". And it was certainly ugly and one hell of a demolition blade. What I am referring to is a situation where the back of a house had to be removed and an addition added. An impressive idea by an architect that really lacked experience for such a project.

My idea deleted the need for a 24 foot steel beam to carry the old roof framing. Removing the old roof overhang is the sort of situation where the Skil saw was there and the Sawzall needed to be hoisted up and powered. Faster to just make two passes with the Skil saw. In those situations, hitting a nail is a common occurance.

As far as "Koenbro's" idea of a metal cutting saw blade, they would be fine for a "dedicated" stationary saw. But they cost money, something I am allergic to doing. The old Skil saw blades were cheap to begin with. That's why the teeth got thrown off. And as a roofing saw, had no cost, they were scrap to start with. I just had a thought about using the "scrap" for something. And that's what it ended up as.

Last edited:
Fwiw, I have a very cheap Skil brand saw from the 90's that I fully expected to be junk, due to the price and the plastic. But it's been a very good saw. I prefer it with a straight edge to my dewalt contractor tablesaw so long as I'm not in a hurry. It doesn't see a ton of use, but I'm really very pleased with it. Worm drive saws are awesome when you're young enough to handle them. Even at only 42, my tendons doth protest too much.

Back