Repurposing A Cnc Rotary Table

leeko

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I've been keeping my eye out for a deal on a bog standard rotary table, and I recently scored an obsolete CNC rotary at auction. It needs a little elbow grease before I can use it so I'm seeking a little advice :) It was described as a "Boston gear Series 300 gear reducer with attached table".

This is what the thing looked like (think robot octopus):

uploadfromtaptalk1451853392581.jpg

Pretty sure my friend, who picked the 300lb mess up for me, now hates me... Anyway, after some finagling to get it home, and several hours of disassembly, here's what I have:

1) 10-1/2" rotary table (very useful, but needs a couple of things)
2) 11" x 6" x 1.5" angle plate (very useful)
3) 12" x 12" x 2" (heavy!) flat fixture plate (I'm sure I'll find a use for it)
4) Boston gear Series 300 right-angle gear reducer (useful. Will go in my bandsaw for metal cutting conversion)
5) Fanuc motor, specs unknown (nameplate unreadable, not likely useful)
6) Fanuc control circuitry (obsolete model)
7) Di-Acro short stroke air cylinder (?)
8) a bunch of hydraulic fittings (?)
9) a tangled mess of electrical wire in flex conduit and air/hydraulic hose (probably useful somewhere down the line)
10) about a million cap head screws, and a bunch of miscellaneous brackets, fittings and widgets (?)

So, aside from the tonnes of grease and filth, I'm pretty pleased so far... The angle plate and fixture plate are always good to have, and the gear reducer is an added bonus. The rotary table seems fairly tight, and the table doesn't have much wear (the scraping is still visible). It does need 2 things, though (the belated point of this thread):

1) a handwheel (no need for that on a CNC machine, I guess!)
2) table locks/clamps (I guess the air cylinder was some sort of brake, but not usable for my purposes)

So, the questions (finally!):

1) is there anything special about a handwheel for a rotary table, or can I just adapt any wheel-shaped object I have around? The arcminutes dial is present, and I don't think I would ever do anything requiring arcsecond accuracy :)

2) if adapting a handwheel, would it be better to put it on the shaft with the dial (which has no provision for attaching a handwheel) or on the auxiliary input shaft oncthe other side? I'm thinking the dial-side, although it will need some sort of adapter...

3) not sure where to start with making table locks - I don't see anything else that resembles that on the table. Any suggestions for how to go about that?

Thanks in advance!

Lee

uploadfromtaptalk1451857304403.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1451857313504.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1451857326378.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1451857337535.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1451857343680.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I don't know about this RT.
My only reference is the little 6inch Grizzly I used to have, and my now much larger 11inch Advance.
My only observation is that the handwheels need to be lower than the top surface of the RT.

Leeko, I'll hope to get to Arn Fest next year!!

Daryl
MN

For sure, I'll look for u there :)

Nice score all in one package! Lots of useful stuff there.

Here is the way the locks work on my RT, there is one on each side. It looks like you have plenty of attaching points to hang something like this on it. Just clamps the table down to the base.

upload_2016-1-3_17-23-32.png

Ah great, thanks Jim! That looks simple enough :)

Good score. In the top picture there is what looks like where a pad might be for a lock. Two bolt holes.

pretty sure the friend that picked it up for you will love you again after you got it working

Hehe very true :)

Back