replacing spindle bearings on a JET GHB 14x40

jaychris

Active User
Registered
I'm comfortable taking my lathe apart to a certain extent, but I haven't looked at replacing the spindle bearings. They are the original bearings and they probably have some life left in them. But, I would like to do the work and to put in high quality bearings, just because I can.

The problem: there's nothing out there that I can find on replacing the spindle bearings. So, I'm hoping either someone has experience doing the job on this type of lathe (typical chinese 14x40 gear-head, mid-2000's) or can point me to the right place.

Thanks!

Have you downloaded the manuals, ops and parts? I have not had the pleasure with the Gear version. I have taken the Belt drive apart. They are not the same. Hopefully someone has had one apart to help you out.
Pierre

Have you downloaded the manuals, ops and parts? I have not had the pleasure with the Gear version. I have taken the Belt drive apart. They are not the same. Hopefully someone has had one apart to help you out.
Pierre

Yep, I've downloaded everything I can find that JET has posted, but nothing on replacing the spindle bearings. I've contacted their technical services dept. and hopefully they'll have something they can give me, but it's always cool to have first hand experience chime in.

Back