Replacement Lathe

I can get the pics tomorrow. Is the last pic the follower rest? I will get the serial number of the bed too.

Last edited:
Cal:
Snow has not yet melted. Maybe Sunday I can get the pics.

Yes, manufacturer number is the serial number. Part of the serial number is missing. It should be 5 digits for that machine. Look on the right end of the bed, between the tailstock flat way and the front Vee way, it's stamped there.

The belt-driven exciter is in place and appears to be connected. That's good.

You have a vintage Monarch follower rest; nice. The steady rest isn't a 10EE steady; it looks like someone made an adapter to get it to the right height. For no more often than you need one, it will work find.

It you have more than one 3-phase machine, your best bet is to go for a rotary phase converter (RPC). If you get a so called "static phase converter" (SPC), you can use it to make an RPC by just adding an idler motor and some run caps, so I would start there if I was on a budget. I know of several 10EEs running from SPCs.

I agree with mkjs that trying to use a VFD to drive multiple machines, even one at a time, is a bad idea.

A SPC is nothing more than a motor starter, that is, a relay and a starting capacitor (or two). It functions by connecting the starting capacitor(s) to the third phase during startup, much the same way that a capacitor-start single-phase motor is started. Better SPCs include run capacitors to continue to power the third phase after the starting caps kick out, directing current from the other two sets of windings into the third set of windings, as the phase of the voltage changes. An RPC is just a SPC with an idler motor (any 3-phase motor will work, 7.5HP being a good size for a 10EE). The idler motor acts as a mechanical capacitor, providing current for the third phase of the load machine. Correctly balanced, an RPC can provide fairly well balanced 3-phase voltage to a machine.

WNY Supply has a static converter for $75 with free shipping: http://phaseconverterusa.com/3--5-HP-HD-SCX-Static-Phase-Converter-_p_33.html
WNY used to have a their own webpage with a lot more products; it looks like they are now being sold through phaseconverterusa. I don't know if this converter includes run capacitors or not. If not, I would add two run caps to help balance the third phase. Some 10EE owners have reported issues with static converters when rapidly reversing the spindle and I believe that the lack of run caps is a explanation for that problem.

The photo of the commutator is that of the generator. It looks very dirty. I would remove the brushes and clean all the three commutators with a toothbrush and solvent (letting the solvent dry overnight) before trying to run the machine. You may need to replace the exciter's belt if it's been sitting a long time.

I still need to see what's under the cover on the headstock end. Take photos of the insides of the DC Control Panel, the large box to the right of the DC motor, and the big rheostats above it.

Would it be possible for you to upload higher resolution photos, or put them on something like DropBox or PhotoBucket?

The serial number is 23722. Got it off the ways. Link to PB.
http://s886.photobucket.com/user/milomilo/library/Monarch?sort=3&page=1

I tried to see what you asked for regarding the headstock but not sure what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

The photos on PhotoBucket are still low resolution. They download as 640x480. Is your camera set for such a low resolution mode?

What I'm looking for is what's behind the big cover on the left (headstock) end of the machine. (This is the cover that has the hydraulic motor sticking through it.) The DC control panel and Ohmite rheostats are (hopefully) behind that cover, along with the spindle motor.

Overall, my impression of the machine from your photos gives me hope. None of the handles are broken. You have all the original oil fill caps and the tailstock dauber (used to apply white lead to lubricate a dead center) are all there. The taper attachment and ELSR seems to be intact. Very few machines of this vintage are that complete; the oil fill caps and tailstock dauber from my machine are long gone. You've got some nice tooling with it. I say it definitely bears further investigation. What does your neighbor want for the machine and tooling?

Cal

Hi Chris,

The photos on PhotoBucket are still low resolution. They download as 640x480. Is your camera set for such a low resolution mode?

What I'm looking for is what's behind the big cover on the left (headstock) end of the machine. (This is the cover that has the hydraulic motor sticking through it.) The DC control panel and Ohmite rheostats are (hopefully) behind that cover, along with the spindle motor.

Overall, my impression of the machine from your photos gives me hope. None of the handles are broken. You have all the original oil fill caps and the tailstock dauber (used to apply white lead to lubricate a dead center) are all there. The taper attachment and ELSR seems to be intact. Very few machines of this vintage are that complete; the oil fill caps and tailstock dauber from my machine are long gone. You've got some nice tooling with it. I say it definitely bears further investigation. What does your neighbor want for the machine and tooling?

Cal

He is asking for $1000. Same price he paid for it a year ago, then decided for medical reasons he was not going to use it. It snowed again today so may be a couple more days before I can get it uncovered and get the pics you asked for. My camera is set for photo size 2592x1944 now. Quality is set at super fine. Did not see a resolution setting on the menu. I am no camera whiz either. My camera is a Samsung 16.4 pixel, model WB1100F.

I changes the PB upload settings. Look at the first pic and see if the resolution is better.

http://s886.photobucket.com/user/milomilo/library/Monarch?sort=3&page=1
That one came down at 1024x768. Which is a bit better. I think you can tell it to upload the files at the maximum 1Mb size and it will adjust the file resolution so that the file is 1Mb in size. Your most recent one is 194kb, so it's probably PhotoBucket that's reducing the resolution. Try the 1Mb file size option.

$1000 for that machine is a deal. You could turn around, sell the machine for scrap, sell the tooling on eBay and be ahead on that deal, so you can't get hurt. The poor old girl is begging you to take her inside before it gets any colder!

(But make no mistake, this machine will take a lot of work before you have a usable machine.)

The file size I chose in PB is the highest resolution listed.

Last edited:
Back