Replacement jaws for air riveter

CowDoc

Registered
Registered
I have an old air riveter that works fine other than needing new jaws. Does anyone know of a source for replacement jaws that will fit Harbor Freight #167, 93458, or 83458 air riveters? Yes, I know it's a cheap tool to replace. But, why spend $50 on a new tool when the old one works fine. I'd rather spend $10 on replacement jaws and $40 on other tools.

I measured some relatively new jaws from a friend's HF gun. I compared them to my other riveters and they're both a bit small. I suspect there are other brands out there that have the same or similar sized jaws though. The two jaw setups are all pretty standard.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this problem. Does anyone have a solution, other than some D2 round rod and a lathe?

JawSize.jpg

Contact hf parts

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

As with so many HF things it’s a knockoff of a Chicago Pneumatic it looks like. Often the original parts will fit. Looks like they sell the jaws and are $20.

For some reason HF states they don’t sell parts for it because there are no user serviceable parts. Curious. Probably because the jaws cost $20 and a whole new unit only costs $50? Maybe time to explore making them yourself? Or resharpening the little jaws?

As with so many HF things it’s a knockoff of a Chicago Pneumatic it looks like. Often the original parts will fit. Looks like they sell the jaws and are $20.

For some reason HF states they don’t sell parts for it because there are no user serviceable parts. Curious. Probably because the jaws cost $20 and a whole new unit only costs $50? Maybe time to explore making them yourself? Or resharpening the little jaws?

Thank you C-bag. I know HF does knock offs and there are comparables. I just wasn't sure where to start looking. I'm not sure why Chicago Pneumatics didn't immediately come to mind. Brain fart, I suppose.

Chicago Pneumatics old CP-883 riveter and their newer CP-9882 appear to be a match. I located a set of jaws for the CP-883 for $11.51. At that price, it's cheaper to buy them rather than make them. The same vendor sells parts for a few other, better quality tools I need to refurbish. I'll add the jaws to that parts order. Perfect!

Thank you again C-bag.

Thank you C-bag. I know HF does knock offs and there are comparables. I just wasn't sure where to start looking. I'm not sure why Chicago Pneumatics didn't immediately come to mind. Brain fart, I suppose.

Chicago Pneumatics old CP-883 riveter and their newer CP-9882 appear to be a match. I located a set of jaws for the CP-883 for $11.51. At that price, it's cheaper to buy them rather than make them. The same vendor sells parts for a few other, better quality tools I need to refurbish. I'll add the jaws to that parts order. Perfect!

Thank you again C-bag.
Glad I could be of help, but you have to please report back if it works and who the vendor is please. I have personally experienced the same cognitive flatulence. Somehow when it’s me trying to figure out how to find a part I get cross wired. It’s what I love about this particular site, people genuinely want to help and there are some true Google fu masters here.

Glad I could be of help, but you have to please report back if it works and who the vendor is please. I have personally experienced the same cognitive flatulence. Somehow when it’s me trying to figure out how to find a part I get cross wired. It’s what I love about this particular site, people genuinely want to help and there are some true Google fu masters here.
Chicago Pneumatic tech support says they'll call back tomorrow. I hope to verify the fit as best possible before ordering the replacement jaws.

Flexible Assembly carries the Gesipa riveter and other parts I need and they are the cheapest I've found for the CP replacement jaws. Unfortunately, about 30% of the total cost will be shipping and handling.

I only located a few online sources for the old CP883 jaws (CA147089), which have been discontinued. Plenty of vendors carry the current CP9882 jaws (8950250364). The Flexible Assembly website shows they have both. I'll post again when I have the actual parts.

Here’s hoping it works out.

Here’s hoping it works out.
To recap: I needed jaws for a Harbor Freight air-hydraulic riveter (167, 93458, 83458). No parts are available through Harbor Freight. The 167 is a clone of a Chicago Pneumatic CP883 riveter. So, I ordered jaws (CA147089) for the CP883. The Flexible Assembly website showed the jaws in stock for $11.51. Unfortunately, they were not actually in stock and have been discontinued.
Plan B was ordering jaws (8950250364) for the newer CP9882 riveter. Chicago Pneumatic tech support confirmed the jaws are exactly the same, except the price has doubled to $23.61 ... presumably, to pay the CEO’s $20 million bonus. Why else? I received the jaws and can confirm they work fine in the HF riveter.
Meantime, I was able to briefly look at a CP9882 in person. I verified the nose pieces and many parts from the CP9882 are exactly the same as the 167. At $50 for a new HF riveter, it’s not worth replacing much. But, if you need minor parts, I suggest you look at the CP9882.
Thank you all, especially C-bag, for your riveting suggestions.

thanks for the final update CowDoc. I have very mixed feelings about HF. I appreciate that I can buy hobby grade versions of tools I can’t afford at a hobby price. But feel bad it’s taking away biz from the original US maker. But their cost doesn’t make sense to a part time seldom use tool. I am super glad it all worked out.

Back