Replacement Compound slide for Atlas 10

Thank you indeed for the explanation of how you made the new graduations by transferring the old ones over to the chuck and then using the newly marked chuck to re transfer the lines to the new hand wheel dials.

I may try this using some 2.5 " cold rolled steel & turn it to a polished finish, possibly having to remove some of the back to make it a tad cupped .
Done so I can put it on my cross feed shaft as it is .
I hope to make it a bit more noticeable for my brain by putting an annular rings for ever 5 thou division to reach and one twice that distance in from the edge for the 10 thou .
I've found over the years that you can quickly focus on where the indication mark is if you use the 5 & 10 decimal style offsetting the marks when making a measure .

Last edited:
Re: Replacement Compound slide for Atlas 10" lathe

Such a shame you sold your Atlas, I nearly cried when I let mine go, it had given me years of faithful and accurate service.
I was going to post a few pictures of mods that I had done to mine, until I saw you had sold it.

Like yourself, I went for a larger swing lathe.

We all have to move on at some time.

John

I know this is an older post, but I'd be interested in the mods you did to your Atlas if you still have that material. I got an Atlas TH42 series 10F lathe of my own a few months ago as an "accessory" for my HF 93212 7x10 lathe. :) I'd been wanting an Atlas for closing on 43 years when I got mine, had settled for the HF mini-lathe "kit" a few years ago when I realized I wasn't getting any younger, and might miss my chance if I didn't grab it right then. I'm currently taking a precision manual machinist class at the local Technology Center. When it was time to move to one of the machines, all the lathes were taken, so I'm on the last project for vertical milling machines. Once I finish it, I'll finally get some instruction on the lathe. I've been fiddling with both of them as and when I can, learned a few things, made & modified a few parts, and been kicking myself up the backside for not doing this right after my high school machine shop class in 1973. Been hanging around on a variety of metalworking fora on the internet for a few years, and sign myself as...

Bill in OKC

Back