Replace 240v Plug On Heater

I may end up changing out the pigtail for a 10GA. I was lucky enough to spend the day in the shop.
It didn't get over 40° here today and I finally figured out where to set the dial to cycle it.
So it's holding the shop in the low 60's and it was very comfortable this evening. I stuck a 10" fan over
in the cold corner and that's at least stirring it up. The ceiling is well insulated, the walls aren't...
And with the unit now cycling the cord isn't getting warm.
So much better than the propane that I had been running.

Warm appliance cords are fine, hot isn't. A quality cord, such as something made out of SJ wire (SJOOW etc) has insulation rated for 90 degrees of heat, and that is in centigrade. If you can keep your hand on the cable and hold it without it burning you, you are fine.

Keep in mind that this cord is basically hanging out in free air and not trapped in a wall with insulation like romex or MC usually is.

I wouldn't sweat the cord unless it starts getting hot to the touch...a little warm is nothing to worry about.

Stay warm, I have 2 7500W heaters coming for my shop myself.

---Aaron

Stay warm, I have 2 7500W heaters coming for my shop myself.

---Aaron

(2)! and 7500w?! Lucky Dog. Of course NH winters are not mild....
This puppy kept it @64° until I packed it in last night at around ten and then it was ~32°. My feet were feeling the concrete.
Gotta replace the garage doors. I'd hate to see what a thermal image would show. Might jerry rig a couple of tarps on the inside.

(2)! and 7500w?! Lucky Dog. Of course NH winters are not mild....
This puppy kept it @64° until I packed it in last night at around ten and then it was ~32°. My feet were feeling the concrete.
Gotta replace the garage doors. I'd hate to see what a thermal image would show. Might jerry rig a couple of tarps on the inside.

I like King Electric heaters. I got them for about $400 each, which isn't too bad. Only draw back is that they need #8 wire, and I am doing all MC (metal clad) in the shop, so it is like dealing with a hose. 2 7500W heaters was slightly more than 1 15KW heater, but this way I can run either 1 or both at any given time to match the heat output to the needs, and having 2 helps with heat distribution. These things throw the heat pretty far.

I bought a single 10Kw one for my 2 car garage a few years ago and it was great. Made in the USA. Good product, but they are meant to be hardwired with a wall line voltage (240V) thermostat, so the install is a little more complicated than a cord and plug heater.

---Aaron

Back