Replace 240v Plug On Heater

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Weekend estate sale score! Let there be heat! Heck of a deal ($30) on a $200+ heater.
Doesn't appear to have seen much use. Then again it may not even work. I couldn't find
a receptacle at the sale to test it. I've never come across this type of plug with this layout.
My plan this afternoon is to swap it with a dryer cord or perhaps a twist plug.
The existing cord is 12ga.
As usual I'm looking for advice, and double checking when doing electrical tasks.

P1080146-r.jpg P1080147-r.jpg P1080148-r.jpg

That's a standard 30 Amp, 250 V plug. The receptacle should be available at Home Depot or Lowes. You could change it out with another plug type if needed. That looks like a heavy duty heater.

Last edited:
It looks like a 15 amp/220 v. The big box stores should have a matching receptacle. Assuming you have the correct wiring and breaker to the box, just swap the receptacle.

http://www.nooutage.com/nema_configurations.htm

EDIT: Just saw Jim Dawson's post. The overall size of the plug will tell you if it's the 15 or the 30 amp. But it looks like Jim is correct, not me!

Last edited:
Just got back from the Big Blue Box.
I grabbed this and it's 30A.
Now then, the existing cord currently on it is 12ga.
So it's a 5600w/4200w @ 240/208v Heater - isn't that around 25 Amps?
Now I'm scratching my head...
I'm going to go dig through my tub and see what I might have in 10ga. size
Heater is a TPI #HF686TC

outlet_01.jpg

Does it have a UL sticker? That could answer some of your questions. The insulation type in the cord will determine the current carrying capacity of the cord.

Does it have a UL sticker? That could answer some of your questions. The insulation type in the cord will determine the current carrying capacity of the cord.
Could you please explain that statement?
John.

The UL (Underwriter's Laboratory) tests equipment to determine if it's safe to use as manufactured. Cheap equipment without the UL sticker may not meet all safety requirements and codes. The 12 gauge cord may be OK on the heater because of its length and the insulation type used in the cord. Check an electrical code book wire chart and there are different current ratings for number of conductors, and temperature ratings of the insulation. In the US #12 copper is rated at 20 amps for type TW, 60C to 30 amps at 90C for THHN insulation (usually limited to a 20 amp breaker).

Info off of cord:
(UL) C(UL) E136065-F SJTW CSA LL96415 FT2

But man that Plug looks huge compared to the cord.

If I remember correctly (and I have not double checked this), I think on intermittent devices with a short cord, UL rules allow a smaller cord than normal NEC requirements. Current carrying capacity is also partly a function of the number of strands in each conductor. So more strands, the more current carrying capacity, this is because electrons only flow on the outside of the conductor, thus is a function of surface area. So the more strands in a given gauge, the more surface area. For instance a welding cable will carry a lot more current than a similar sized length of THHN because of the number of strands. And welding is also intermittent duty.

Last edited:
Back