Repear Compound slide

Torbo

Active User
Registered
Here is a repearing of a compound slide in cast iron.

First i TIG-welded in som crom/nickel, but it get to hard!
I could not drill or make some treads for the toolholder bolts.
I cooled it slowly, but it was to hard.

Then put inn a new normal steel part, and I use "castroline" weld, and I think this will be strong enough.
Coolet it down in a sandbox this time also.
Under the part you can see the hard steel.
The top was planed in my lathe with four jaw chuck.

Wat do you think?

f2ihrb.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it will work. Very nice welding.

Last edited:
Very nice looking weld. For a moment, I thought you had the piece propped up on a cup of joe!

For me welding cast iron is not a big deal but machining it later is because when you arc on cast iron it immediatly gets a hard spot. If you have to machine it later you are probably better off to braze it unless you can surface grind everything. Ray

i wonder if the slide could be reversed...(if drive nut is centered?)

Looks great! Did the tool post tear out? I looked at the Castolin web site, and they have cold weld and hot weld. Did you use the hot weld rod?

tig it with silicon bronze

That works but any electric arc (including a TIG Arc) can and will develop hard spots once in a while you may get lucky but nothing I would place a bet on. Ray

i wonder if the slide could be reversed...(if drive nut is centered?)

Yes, it works well...

- - - Updated - - -

tig it with silicon bronze

Thanks for tips!

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice looking weld. For a moment, I thought you had the piece propped up on a cup of joe!

He, he, there is a little 3D-effect in the picture, yes... An I like coffee, I can't tell anyone how many cups I drink every day!
And now every night - midnight, because the sun is not going down here where I am now. In the north of Norway:
2dubfy1.jpg
view from my mobilhome.....
A nice mountain in the coast:
oqzy9v.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great! Did the tool post tear out? I looked at the Castolin web site, and they have cold weld and hot weld. Did you use the hot weld rod?

I think cold? The temperature was about 700 degrees, like silver welding. I have used silver welding before, but i has not the same strength, I have heard or read...

I have to experiment more about this....

In the 60-, and 70´s I used silver and bronze (castroline) a lot with good result...

- - - Updated - - -

That works but any electric arc (including a TIG Arc) can and will develop hard spots once in a while you may get lucky but nothing I would place a bet on. Ray

Interesting.

Back