Repairs Made Using Tapered Pin

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
My old band saw had a loose pulley wheel so decided to make repairs before getting into
some serious wood cutting. The 1.25 inch shaft on the pulley had a through hole only
and a sleeve inside the pulley for a slide on fit. A 5/16 bolt was in the hole and was
found to be broken in half. A key way would have been the best repair but removing
the shaft would have been a big job. Fortunately I had gotten an old set of reamers for tapered
pins on EBAY so decided to give it a try. After reaming out the hole, I used the lathe to
make a tapered pin to fit. Also I made a thick washer on a slight eccentric to apply pressure
to the pin so it would not work its way out. Also, the 5hp Briggs was burning some oil
so put in a new set of rings. Hopefully it is ready and willing for the season. View attachment 98888 IMG_0608.JPG

The saw is a 24 inch Crescent band saw.

Note the muffler made from an old propane cylinder. It is quieter than the stock muffler available. IMG_0607.JPG

Last edited:
Very neat saw!
I am also jealous - I thought Minnesota got lots of snow?
Sitting here on the east coast of Canada, it will be while yet befor we see bare earth!

Nice saw! I like quick effective repairs.
Mark

How about more on the quite muffler. Internal design? Chore girls stuffed around a perferated pipe?
I need to build 2-3 of them..........my ears are bad enough now without loud gas powered equipment adding to the misery.

Hey Cactus!

The muffler has just pipes inside the propane cylinder. The exhaust from the engine comes out of a bunch of small
holes the length of the muffler and the output is a pipe that goes in towards the engine with no holes. They are easy to make using a gas welding torch. I save the propane cylinders and use them for mufflers
on my 13 hp Kohler Band Saw as well. I think the holes in the pipe were 1/8 inch and I drilled about 50 holes.

How about more on the quite muffler. Internal design? Chore girls stuffed around a perferated pipe?
I need to build 2-3 of them..........my ears are bad enough now without loud gas powered equipment adding to the misery.

Very neat saw!
I am also jealous - I thought Minnesota got lots of snow?
Sitting here on the east coast of Canada, it will be while yet befor we see bare earth!

Usually we have plenty of snow. This is the first year I can remember that we had
less than a foot of now all winter! Thanks for the kind words regarding the saw.

Good fix, cathead !!

Taper pins used to be real common - this is the first application I've seen in years. I wonder why ? They are so good at locating and securing parts and way easier to obtain a precise fit than a regular dowel pin.

Last edited:
Good fix, cathead !!

Taper pins used to be real common - this is the first application I've seen in years. I wonder why ? They are so good at locating and securing parts and way easier to obtain a precise fit than a regular dowel pin.

My lathes are from the earlier part of this century and both have a number of tapered pins incorporated into them.
That is where I became familiar with them and consequently had to have several reamers for making repairs. The pin
is relatively easy to make by measuring the reamer in several spots and machining the pin to fit. I machined
it by eye after establishing the minimum and maximum diameters and finished the process using Dykem and
a file. It took about 15 minures or so to produce an accurate pin.

Regarding the saw:

I worked at a box factory that made boxes for big shells for the war (Viet Nam) back in 1966
or so being a teenager at the time. There was one of these Crescent saws there and it was
used as a second operation saw for ripping lumber into thinner material. My job was mostly
on a huge table saw cutting the boards for the bases of these shell containers. Many years
later I found similar saws in the woods by a friends house. Of course I had to take them
home! I don't know if the saws I found came from the box factory but it is quite likely.
The table saws had cast iron frames and wooden tops and had babitt bearings. They
were powered by three phase electric motors. I have several motors in rough shape
from being in the weather for years but would be an interesting restoration project. I can
post some photos if anyone has interest in this kind of thing.

Last edited:
Back