Repairs And Upgrades On My Burke #4

image.jpeg I got the holes bored. They are pretty close to perfect. Next on to the slot. ( boy cast iron is dirty, but it machines great. Thank God for the shop vac! )

I got the slot cut and took photos of the setup because I just know someone will ask how I cut that curved slot. Unfortunately those photos are lost forever because when I came in the house, I put my dirty clothes in the washer and washed my new IPhone. It doesn't work anymore and everything on it is lost FOREVER :bawling:.

I have insurance on it and will have a new one in two days :).

Mark, bad karma about your iPhone. I wonder if your new one can store pics on iCloud? If so, might be a good place to upload stuff to.

Great looking boring head!

Glenn

Mark ,did you hit any hard spots in the cast iron? The older cast iron sometimes would ruin a cutter real quick . I used to turn lots of cast years ago so much so when I sweat it would be rusty. But great material to work with , as you found out don't ever be afraid to use it . It's great will last forever and almost anything can be made from it. I've got a few pieces of cast I'm going to try it's old window weights. My house is very old and still uses them. Even a couple dumbbells 12 pounders I think. The four ends are around 3 1/2 x 3" . I'm Always ckin for stock around the neighborhood picked up a 4" table mt band sander. Little oil and cleaning and now I've a second sander. Your Burke is looking great . Around me they are overpriced at least my price. Glad that your doing well still in my prayers. Gary

This cast iron is great stuff. Cuts like butter. It is dirty though, but as long as you cut it dry, cleanup is easy.

I took lots of photos today. Spent 6 hours milling and sawing to get to where I am.

This is the rotary table setup I am using to carve this piece.
20160801_111855.jpg
20160801_111849.jpg

This is where I left off yesterday.
20160801_111906.jpg

Next was some creative sawing to remove bulk material.
20160801_114617.jpg 20160801_120324.jpg
20160801_120559.jpg

Here the bulk of the front is sawed of to thickness. Now back to the rotary table.
20160801_121552.jpg

The bottom is trimmed to size.
20160801_130606.jpg

The sides are sawed at an angle for a rough shape. This will all get cleaned up on the mill.
20160801_135158.jpg

The sides have been milled to finish.
20160801_135207.jpg
20160801_164932.jpg

I made a boo-boo on the edge of the slot. It won't hurt anything but it makes me mad. I just wasn't paying close enough attention.
20160801_164939.jpg

It is mostly done. Now to finish the top where the clamp bolt goes. I will do that tomorrow or Wednesday.
20160801_173001.jpg 20160801_173009.jpg

20160801_122837.jpg

Mark, bad karma about your iPhone. I wonder if your new one can store pics on iCloud? If so, might be a good place to upload stuff to.

Great looking boring head!

Glenn
Thanks. I do store some stuff on the cloud,but I did not back my phone up. Guess that is what I get for being lazy.

I finished the mounting plate for the vertical head on my Burke mill. I am extremely happy with the way it turned out. It is as close to an original as I could ever get. It works great and is even made from cast iron like the original.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I want to thank everyone who helped me with photos and dimensions. It made this job a lot easier.

image.jpeg

You've done another fantastic job , glad your feeling better . Wish I had my legs back , sucks not being able to do all the things I need to do. Let alone the stuff I want. I'm really liking the mill your working on. They have a pretty good reputation of being well made. Hard to find a decent one , if YA do they think there selling a Bridgeport. Made it more special by using the mill itself to build the missing piece. Take care and keep building its a pleasure for us here. And for me to live vicariously through the forum.

Thanks. I thought it great to use the machine to entirely make its own needed part.

Hi
Great work yet again.
I think i would have left the part full thickness, less work & stronger , it does not look to hit anything, but may not look as good ???
Hope you are keeping well & all the best.

jeff

Back