• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Repairs And Upgrades On My Burke #4

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dgehricke

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Mark, I went down to my shop and did a quick measurement of the center to center distance its about 4 ⅜ inches
I'll measure the slot in the morning and I'll also get a measurement with calipers in the morn.
Thanks for the info on the cast iron.
Regards
dgehricke

dgehricke

Active User
Mark,
I went to my garage and I took the head off the Burke and I disassembled it so I could get the best possible measurements.
I made a template of cardboard with some of the measurements, I have also included some more photos of the base separated and
laid out for you to glee some more info before you start cutting the cast iron.
#1 The center to center measurement from the 2" TOP hole to the center of the LOWER hole is 4.316 measured from the template very close to 4 3/8
#2 The distance from the center of the LOWER hole to the center of the slot is 1.780.
I am not sure if all these back plates are the same as its a pretty good chunk of cast iron some of the measurements may be off a little, If I may
suggest it may benefit you to make a drawing or template based on the photos and sizes i have given you here to be sure it all lines up before
you start cutting. If you are interested in the template I made I can mail it to you. Let me know
I can't seem to upload photos every one i try I get ERROR uploading your file. look below they finally posted. alot of the photos would help a lot.
Regards
Wally Gehricke
dgehricke

Last edited:

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Wally,

I had trouble with photos for a while. I found, I was taking them with my phone and that was the problem. I found when I take a photo, I have to edit it. I crop it just a little bit and save it. Then my photos load correctly. If you are using your phone to take photos, try cropping a little bit , then save. Then upload the photos.

Thank you for the dimensions. I think the photos would help a lot. If you can't load them here , can you email them , maybe?

my email is. markfrazier16137@yahoo.com

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Wally,

Thank you for the photos and in formation. Armed with this, I think I can duplicate the plate.

dgehricke

Active User
Mark, Just a last try at upload for the photos, I'll be damned not one single error.
Regards
dgehricke

Attachments

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Now that I have all the needed information , I am starting the cast iron mounting plate for my vertical head. I have to check and double check as I can't afford to screw up this $86 hunk of cast iron. First I set it up in the band saw to cut it to size.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg Oops...... Had to turn it around because the arm hit the top.

I laid out the holes, but need a way to bore them. I don't have a boring head and besides there is no room to use a boring head on the Burke. I took a small 3" four jaw check and converted it into a boring head.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg These are the three parts I made to convert the chuck.

image.jpeg My finished boring head. image.jpeg
image.jpeg The boring setup installed on the mill. Now to set up the chunk of cast iron to bore. I will do this in the morning.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
While the little chuck converted to a boring head works great, I found it did not have enough travel to bore the larger hole. So..... I resurrected a failed boring head project from about a year and a half ago that really went bad. After about 4 hours of drilling, milling, turning, and reaming, the failed mess started to look pretty good. I got the pancake boring head completed and works great. ( it is a pancake boring head because it is much shorter than a standard boring head, which is a necessity for a Burke mill)
image.jpeg image.jpeg

The cast iron plate for my vertical head is coming along nicely. I'm boring the holes now. I found the distance between them to be 4.250"

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
image.jpeg I got the holes bored. They are pretty close to perfect. Next on to the slot. ( boy cast iron is dirty, but it machines great. Thank God for the shop vac! )

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
I got the slot cut and took photos of the setup because I just know someone will ask how I cut that curved slot. Unfortunately those photos are lost forever because when I came in the house, I put my dirty clothes in the washer and washed my new IPhone. It doesn't work anymore and everything on it is lost FOREVER :bawling:.

I have insurance on it and will have a new one in two days :).

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Mark, bad karma about your iPhone. I wonder if your new one can store pics on iCloud? If so, might be a good place to upload stuff to.

Great looking boring head!

Glenn

Silverbullet

Mark ,did you hit any hard spots in the cast iron? The older cast iron sometimes would ruin a cutter real quick . I used to turn lots of cast years ago so much so when I sweat it would be rusty. But great material to work with , as you found out don't ever be afraid to use it . It's great will last forever and almost anything can be made from it. I've got a few pieces of cast I'm going to try it's old window weights. My house is very old and still uses them. Even a couple dumbbells 12 pounders I think. The four ends are around 3 1/2 x 3" . I'm Always ckin for stock around the neighborhood picked up a 4" table mt band sander. Little oil and cleaning and now I've a second sander. Your Burke is looking great . Around me they are overpriced at least my price. Glad that your doing well still in my prayers. Gary

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
This cast iron is great stuff. Cuts like butter. It is dirty though, but as long as you cut it dry, cleanup is easy.

I took lots of photos today. Spent 6 hours milling and sawing to get to where I am.

This is the rotary table setup I am using to carve this piece.
20160801_111855.jpg
20160801_111849.jpg

This is where I left off yesterday.
20160801_111906.jpg

Next was some creative sawing to remove bulk material.
20160801_114617.jpg 20160801_120324.jpg
20160801_120559.jpg

Here the bulk of the front is sawed of to thickness. Now back to the rotary table.
20160801_121552.jpg

The bottom is trimmed to size.
20160801_130606.jpg

The sides are sawed at an angle for a rough shape. This will all get cleaned up on the mill.
20160801_135158.jpg

The sides have been milled to finish.
20160801_135207.jpg
20160801_164932.jpg

I made a boo-boo on the edge of the slot. It won't hurt anything but it makes me mad. I just wasn't paying close enough attention.
20160801_164939.jpg

It is mostly done. Now to finish the top where the clamp bolt goes. I will do that tomorrow or Wednesday.
20160801_173001.jpg 20160801_173009.jpg

Attachments

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Mark, bad karma about your iPhone. I wonder if your new one can store pics on iCloud? If so, might be a good place to upload stuff to.

Great looking boring head!

Glenn
Thanks. I do store some stuff on the cloud,but I did not back my phone up. Guess that is what I get for being lazy.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
I finished the mounting plate for the vertical head on my Burke mill. I am extremely happy with the way it turned out. It is as close to an original as I could ever get. It works great and is even made from cast iron like the original.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I want to thank everyone who helped me with photos and dimensions. It made this job a lot easier.

Attachments

Silverbullet

You've done another fantastic job , glad your feeling better . Wish I had my legs back , sucks not being able to do all the things I need to do. Let alone the stuff I want. I'm really liking the mill your working on. They have a pretty good reputation of being well made. Hard to find a decent one , if YA do they think there selling a Bridgeport. Made it more special by using the mill itself to build the missing piece. Take care and keep building its a pleasure for us here. And for me to live vicariously through the forum.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. I thought it great to use the machine to entirely make its own needed part.

jeff_g1137

Active User
Hi
Great work yet again.
I think i would have left the part full thickness, less work & stronger , it does not look to hit anything, but may not look as good ???
Hope you are keeping well & all the best.

jeff

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Hi
Great work yet again.
I think i would have left the part full thickness, less work & stronger , it does not look to hit anything, but may not look as good ???
Hope you are keeping well & all the best.

jeff
Thank you. You are partially correct. First ... I wanted it to look like the original. I also found from experience the less mass around there the more room to clear the work. It needed to be the right thickness or I would have to make a new clamp bolt for the tilt. It is twice as thick at the top for rigidity on the overrarm. ...... and finally, I am such an anal perfectionist, I wanted it close to original. But you are right, it could be just a heavy block. The previous one I made was a steel plate. While it functioned, I didn't like the look. It looked homemade.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
You've done another fantastic job , glad your feeling better . Wish I had my legs back , sucks not being able to do all the things I need to do. Let alone the stuff I want. I'm really liking the mill your working on. They have a pretty good reputation of being well made. Hard to find a decent one , if YA do they think there selling a Bridgeport. Made it more special by using the mill itself to build the missing piece. Take care and keep building its a pleasure for us here. And for me to live vicariously through the forum.
The Burke is a great little mill. It is a small mill but really heavy duty. I take .100" DOC on steel. I manage to do most everything on it. Once in a while I need something bigger.

I know how fraustrating it is to not have the ability to stand or walk. I spent ten years on crutches and two years in a wheel chair. Medical marvels have got me out of the chair temporarily. I know the time is coming when I will be back in it all the time instead of once in a while. I still can only stand for minutes and must be very careful walking. I use crutches when out but I stumble around the house and sit on a stool in the shop. I refuse to let my "handicap" limit me. Where there is will there is a way.

dgehricke

Active User
Mark,
Your back plate for the Vertical Head is a Job Well Done it looks great.
Regards
dgehricke

[6]
5 [7]