Repairs And Upgrades On My Burke #4

Hi
Great work yet again.
I think i would have left the part full thickness, less work & stronger , it does not look to hit anything, but may not look as good ???
Hope you are keeping well & all the best.

jeff

Thank you. You are partially correct. First ... I wanted it to look like the original. I also found from experience the less mass around there the more room to clear the work. It needed to be the right thickness or I would have to make a new clamp bolt for the tilt. It is twice as thick at the top for rigidity on the overrarm. ...... and finally, I am such an anal perfectionist, I wanted it close to original. But you are right, it could be just a heavy block. The previous one I made was a steel plate. While it functioned, I didn't like the look. It looked homemade.

You've done another fantastic job , glad your feeling better . Wish I had my legs back , sucks not being able to do all the things I need to do. Let alone the stuff I want. I'm really liking the mill your working on. They have a pretty good reputation of being well made. Hard to find a decent one , if YA do they think there selling a Bridgeport. Made it more special by using the mill itself to build the missing piece. Take care and keep building its a pleasure for us here. And for me to live vicariously through the forum.
The Burke is a great little mill. It is a small mill but really heavy duty. I take .100" DOC on steel. I manage to do most everything on it. Once in a while I need something bigger.

I know how fraustrating it is to not have the ability to stand or walk. I spent ten years on crutches and two years in a wheel chair. Medical marvels have got me out of the chair temporarily. I know the time is coming when I will be back in it all the time instead of once in a while. I still can only stand for minutes and must be very careful walking. I use crutches when out but I stumble around the house and sit on a stool in the shop. I refuse to let my "handicap" limit me. Where there is will there is a way.

Mark,
Your back plate for the Vertical Head is a Job Well Done it looks great.
Regards
dgehricke

Back