Repairing worn lathe half nuts

It is my understanding that Loctite 620 fills the voids, locking the parts together. That is why it’s called a retaining compound and not an adhesive. If you took two pieces of “flat” metal and stuck them together with Loctite 620, let it cure for 24 hrs with no air, it would not be hard to separate the two pieces of metal. If you took the same Loctite and used it on a bushing/hole application. Big difference in the story when trying to get the bushing out of the hole. The only way to safely get the bushing out would be to use heat. Just trying to drive the bushing out would probably destroy something.

Last edited:
Beautiful repair/restore! If they come loose you can always epoxy them back in.
Mark S.

@Holescreek,

Great Thread!
I appreciate the thought process, write-up and great set of photos.
You have provided a wonderful lesson in work-holding and DIY repairs.

Thanks! :encourage:
-brino

Thanks guys!

I don't have the slightest worry about the brass inserts coming loose. I understand the concerns people have about using a product they have no experience with beyond the manufacturers spec sheets.

I tried to find a credible source for the tensile strength data yesterday but could not find anything but a passing reference to it in a sellers ad. I thought about conducting a test but don't have enough free weight available for a simple tensile test based on my calculations and since Loctite isn't sponsoring me, I dont care if you use it or not.

There are a lot of import machines out there where replacement parts are unobtainable. The point of the "fix" is that it can be done, and what you choose for the attachment method is up to you.

Back