[Newbie] Repairing Some Older Machines

Millipedeman123

Registered
Registered
Ive picked up a couple of machines a couple days ago for steal. They both need some work. And Im lucky that the work they need is pretty minor. A missing Bearing carrier/powerfeed/handle and dials on the Lagun and a a broken knob and lever and trashed pulley /new belts on the Cincinnati. Anyone work on these particular machines before? Any advice would be welcome. I have an uncle whos going to machin a new drive pully for the Cincinnati for me and that just leaves the belt and handle, and rewiring the whole thing for a VFD. I have zero experience with any machining besides the little my uncle taught me and what I've read. I appreciate all the comments and advice I receive.

I have a buddy with the Cincinnati Toolmaster like yours, the Cincinnati Monoset collets are very hard to find as are spare parts for it. I hope you got a set with the purchase!

I got a mostly complete set and the collets are easy to find just expensive hardinge? Makes then I believe.

Very good find, Millipedeman. You have an excellent starting point. Certainly no commercial enterprise is going to be interested (which is why nice machines like those get scrapped). I have a Cincinnati Toolmaster as well - it didn't need quite as much work as yours (seems they all need attention) - see my posts elsewhere. There always is a lot of cleaning, and generally one has to source tooling. I have mine running (sort of). I ended up making a z-axis crank and am in process of making a couple of the shifter pins & knobs for the table feed gear box.

I figured I would wait until it was running before filling out some basic tooling (I have another small mill and some tooling overlaps).

I should warn you, are going to need a lathe to fix the mills, perhaps another mill, and a tool grinder, and a saw to chop up the pieces that will be turned into new parts, and a drill and a bigger shop to put all the metal in, and ... It is a slippery slope, but a great ride. Welcome to Hobby Machinist.

I would just clean them up, wipe them down with oil and run them for now. The broken knobs, handles and sort, most replacements can be made with stuff off of eBay or McMaster-Carr. Great find!!!

Well excellent news my toolmaster doesn't need anew pulley afterwards. I pulled the motor and pulley housing and the rear drive pulley setup. The lower drive pulley was loose so i checked it out loosened the set screw and voila it slid right back on the shaft with no play. I tightened it up with no issues and im happy to say i believe it will work. Now all that Cincinnati needs is a good bath, oiling, Quill handle, belts and a powersupply and she will be working. Ill have a working in mill in a couple weeks and for the cincinnati the grand total will be less than 500 for the machine and power supply if nothing else goes wrong. I cant find anything else wrong with it. Im going to have to do some minor rewiring [bypassing the forward/reverse and the on/off switches] for a VFD and fixing some cuts in the power wires.

Both the machines are running, the Toolmaster everything work perfectly, I also bought a lathe and rebuilt my Lagun. The lagun will be fully operational today or tomorrow hopefully just need to make a washer and a spacer for it.

Back