Repairing DRO cables; cracking insulation

intrepid

Registered
Registered
I have a LMS milling machine with the factory installed DRO. The machine is about 5 years old now and the outer insulation of the DRO cables are cracking and falling off. They still work okay but I would like to repair them. I sent a message to LMS and found replacement cables are no available. They suggested replacing the entire system or taking the cables apart and installing heat shrink over the cables. One approach is just too costly and the other very time consuming and not sure how diffaccult to take apart the cables and from which end would be the easiest. Kind of looks like the cables are molded onto the pickup/readers. I got to thinking about Plasti Dip. I've read a little about it but never used it. Would this be a suitable application for its use? Appears mostly it is used for coating metal tool handles. Has anyone used it on electronic cables?

The Plasti Dip sounds like a messy solution. I'd probably go for heat shrink or spiral-wrap
Or build new cables if you can source the connectors- what type are they?

Maybe a plastic snap over like what we use to protect wiring harness on farm equipment. They are like long flexible tube with a slit. There is an electric insulation that is painted on similar to plastic dip but made for electric wires. It will bond with the insulation and not peel off

Maybe a plastic snap over like what we use to protect wiring harness on farm equipment. They are like long flexible tube with a slit. There is an electric insulation that is painted on similar to plastic dip but made for electric wires. It will bond with the insulation and not peel off
The cables are small diameter. I didn't measure them yet but a guess would be 0.25" so I don't think the flexible slit tube is that small. I was doing some more research and came across the painted on electric insulation you mentioned by Star Brite and sold at Lowes. This seems like a good solution and I think I will give it a try. Thanks.

Attachments

• stay brite.png
    stay brite.png
    192.6 KB · Views: 2
Heat shrink would be too stiff for DRO cables. I wouldn't use a coating like Plasti Dip either. If the insulation on the individual wires is good, I would use a flexible sheath. I sheathed the DRO cables with corrugated S.S.. like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3347829740...X3UCi/nGWDRx8/5wPMxYtr4xmH|tkp:Bk9SR4Cd7r60Yg

If you need to have it liquid proof, you can run the wires through oil resistant PVC tubing. I bought mine form McMaster Carr.

The cables are small diameter. I didn't measure them yet but a guess would be 0.25" so I don't think the flexible slit tube is that small. I was doing some more research and came across the painted on electric insulation you mentioned by Star Brite and sold at Lowes. This seems like a good solution and I think I will give it a try. Thanks.
I've used the liquid electrical tape , I've used it in old motors where the insulation was suspect, and for other things. I think that, or plasti dip , or flex seal would be fine. I think the plasti dip would be easy to setup in a low pan and run the cable in and out, then hang it to dry.

I've used the liquid electrical tape , I've used it in old motors where the insulation was suspect, and for other things. I think that, or plasti dip , or flex seal would be fine. I think the plasti dip would be easy to setup in a low pan and run the cable in and out, then hang it to dry.
Woodchucker, all three cables are easily accessible with just the outer plastic insulation cracking and slowly breaking off. I'm going to try the liquid electrical tape. Since they are all easy to get to I plan to do a test on one without removing. I'll post next week after my test.

I’d either use soft heat shrink (I have some fantastic stuff), or wrap the cables in self-fusing silicone tape, which is also great.

Back