Repairing Brass Threads In A Floor Sewer Washout Plug

intjonmiller

Registered
Registered
This is probably an odd question for a machinist forum, but we have such a broad range of professions and experiences covered in this community that I can't think of a better place to ask this. First the requisite background info...

I'm renting a home. Last February the sewer backed up, flooding the basement bathroom and my home office. The final sewer washout location in the home is, for some reason, in the floor of that office. The plumber who came and snaked all the way out the foundation and to the city's line (retrieving an impressive rootball in the process) used that washout for that job, because the screwy plumbing didn't line up right to let him use the open toilet drain instead. In the process the threads of the old brass fitting were damaged, so after he left and I cleaned up the filthy residue I was unable to replace the plug because I couldn't get the thread to start.

It's an odd size plug. 3.5"? Something like that. The plumbing supply place didn't have a universal plug (the expanding rubber variety) that fit (1950s construction). The landlord bought the closest size and I added a couple coils of thin rubber sheeting to increase the size, thinking that once it was expanded in place it would form a good enough seal for that low pressure drain pipe application.

I was wrong. There is now a puddle right there.

20161108_082420.jpg

I'm taking the day off work to get my office moved out, once again remove the carpet and pad, and all that. The plumber and I both recommended that the line be scoped last time and the landlord cheaped out. I will insist this time, as this is becoming a serious problem. It's almost certainly a broken sewer line in the yard. Just saying because I'm confident that the knowledgeable and helpful people of this forum would encourage me to get it scoped, and I don't want that part of this to distract from the real question:

How do I fix the threads so I can put the brass plug back in?

Even if a tap for that size exists, there's no way he will pay for it. Since it's not a size that can be found readily at plumbing supply places I'm confident the mechanical contractors I could call won't have one. And the fitting is buried in the cement, so the lathe is not an option.

What are my options? I'm wondering about maybe brazing in a new fitting in a slightly smaller but standard size, within the old one. Other than the fact that it is wet and dirty (frustrating but manageable challenge) do you see any reason why that wouldn't work?

Any other ideas?

Any chance you show a pic of the floor drain. I am just wondering if there is a flange around the fitting that could be drilled and tapped to secure a plate with seal.

David

Calipers report 3.4160" around the threads of the male side of the old fitting, in case that is useful.

20161108_091508.jpg

Last edited:
Tell your landlord to make it right, immediately, or you will take the next steps to make sure he does... You shouldn't need to be messing with this at all. This is part of the cost of renting property. If a floor needs to be jack-hammered and a sewer line needs to be replaced, then get with it and make it right -- NOW!

Seems brass threads should clean up pretty easy. A V shaped file on the male plug and a appropriately sharpened screw driver or a thin abrasive cutoff wheel on a Dremel with a flex shaft should do it. Use a non-hardening sealant. Bob's right should be the landlords issue. Mike

While I appreciate that approach, staying here until we are able to buy a home is still the plan. It's our fifth anniversary this week and I'm still recovering financially from my previous divorce, right at the height of the financial crisis. I got hit worse than average. Maintaining a positive relationship with the landlord is worth more than the time it will take me to work on this.

Incidentally he reduced the rent for one month following the last issue, because of the inconvenience. When the whole basement flooded because the drainage was insufficient in the back yard and the wettest August on record spilled in through the basement door he gave us one month free rent (partially in payment for me doing the work to replace one wall of drywall, and for the inconvenience) and he constructed a concrete barrier to prevent it from happening again. (That is mildly annoying when we need to move the lawnmower, but not really a problem.) He's a good guy. And other than this plumbing thing it is a good situation here. Being willing to help him resolve it, and hopefully without a jackhammer, pouring more concrete, etc., and all the time that would take, just a few feet from our bedroom, is worth it.

Now that jackhammer probably will be necessary to fix the presumably broken sewer pipe under the patio in the backyard (sewer drains that way for some reason). But if I can avoid that in the house that would be best.

I will get a picture as soon as I get the carpet up. I'll also take the actual cap to another plumbing supplier I've been impressed with, and which the landlord might not even know about. They may have an idea as well. Or maybe even a universal plug that fits??

I meant to mention that it appears to be 8 tpi. As best I can tell with my calipers anyway. My son (age 6) is certain that thread gauges are knives/saws "for boys", so they always grow legs. Seems to line up with the 3.0 mm gauge, since he hasn't lost my metric set yet.

I like how this is becoming accidental documentation of why it's so hard to get anything done in my shop. If it's not my kid losing my tools (never me!) then it's a plumbing emergency.

The best expanding rubber plugs I have seen were from a marine supply place. They used all stainless hardware. The problem will be finding one so big......

Also check out pool and spa places for things like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-R...hash=item588b1212e6:m:me0MFTcHRksh0usFsg3SGhQ

Except for the handle, something like this might work:
https://www.amazon.com/Shaw-Plugs-T...28490&sr=8-6&keywords=expandable+rubber+plugs

https://www.fastenal.com/products/d...gs"|~ ~|categoryl3:"610667 Expansion Plugs"|~

Good luck!
-brino

Back