[How do I?] Repairing 5V Collet Center?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Been trying to stock up on 5V collets for my Van Norman #12 mill. Bought a few Hardinge 5V's on Ebay, and one of the centers had this damage. Was wondering if there is a way to clean it up and repair it, and if so, how?

002.jpg

004.jpg

Thanks,

:tiphat:Nelson

002.jpg 004.jpg

That will have to be ground. If someone has a lathe with the appropriate spindle taper and a tool post grinder, simple enough, but if not, an extra step or two is involved. A sleeve will need to be made, and then after seating on the taper, trued up with the piece, then held in a collet for grinding.

Is it worth doing, or should I toss it? It came with 2 others that are sharp.

:tiphat:Nelson

I'd hang onto it for something special that you wouldn't want to sacrifice one of the good ones for. If you don't need it right now, stash it away.

Nelson

I wouldn,t toss it out, but I have to ask why you wouldnt mount a tool post grinder to the mill table, and regrind it on that machine. 5V isnt so common , so I would try to repair it.

If you have a TPG, even one of the home made elcheap-o air tool variety, or simular. With carefull set up, you could regrind that item on your mill.

Slap that in the spindle, and the TPG on the mill table, and get to fixing it. Think outside the box a little, its easy ;)

Paul,
what did you have in mind for for traversing the angle? Unless there is a handy X-Y table that could be bolted on at the correct angle, or something similar, I don't see a precision way to do it on the mill itself, although I would certainly grant that the accuracy of the runout would be best that way.

Nelson, whatever you decide, dont toss it. Sure as eggs you will find a use for it one day. In its damaged state or maybe even modded some more to suit something you want to do.

Cheers Phil

Back