Repair Post Test

Grandpop

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
5C collet spin indexers all only come with 36 holes for 1° indexing, and don’t come with the sides milled to hold in a vise. So first I took the indexer apart and clamped it to an angle plate with 123 blocks under each end of the spindle. That allowed me to clean up the first side, then flipped it over and did 2nd side to same dimension. After the rough I took a nice finish cut on each side (no photos). Now I need to make an indexing plate with 37 holes in it.

Found a piece of 3/16 plate in the scrap pile and sawed it into a rough circle. Had read before on the hobby sites that it worked to push the disk up against chuck jaws with a center if you took light cuts, so tried it. I could only take .010 deep cuts, but did it no problem. Only took about 20 minutes to make it round and too size.
P6070531 450-338.jpg

I had to reverse the jaws so could now hold it on the OD to bore the ID a light tap fit for the spindle.
P6080536 450-338.jpg

Next I set it up in the mill and swept the ID, then used the readout to center-drill, drill, end mill to location and near size, counter sink and ream all 37 holes. That took about 2 hours alone!

88425-6eed0bf8a9c701625a548b5f16b84fe8.jpg
But I now have a finished indexer 37 hole plate.

P6110539 450-338.jpg P6110538 450-338.jpg

Last edited:
well that sort of worked. I was trying to get the photos under the correct text instead of lumped together at the end?

I was able to edit to drag the photos where I wanted them. Looks like this will be a lot of effort to post a story of how I made replacement gear fpr paper shredder

How did you load your pictures to the thread?
Did you upload all the pictures first?
*G*

I uploaded them one at a time. I thought they would insert where I had the cursor, but they all came in at the bottom.

I went back and edited the thread to copy the (attach) tags to where I wanted them. That worked OK. But then I figured out if I had the cursor where I want the photo, I could just hit the Attach thumbnail button next to each picture and that would post the picture where I wanted without any left over at the bottom.

On my real post in other section, I uploaded about 8 photos at once, then just hit the Attach thumbnail button next to each picture and that would post the picture where I wanted. took a fair amount of time to rezie all of the photos, type the text, then get the photos where I wanted them.

What I do is load all the pictures first.
I move the cursor to where I want the picture and left click.
hrdp-1109-00+2007-supercharged-24-cylinder-engine.jpg
When the picture loads on the page hit enter to move the cursor back to the left and under the picture.
WW2 women 4.jpg Then load another one, if it's small you can write along side it.
Art.gif WW@ women 6.jpg
The best bet is to resize your pictures to 600 X 600. That way they load quicker and post quicker.
car repair.gif military-saying-patches-145x145.jpg flag-waving-2.gif
Just stay away from the top pick."Insert every image as" buttons and you can put pictures where you want to.
**hiding.gif **Gator*****

thanks for the tips. I had my photos resized to 400 x 300, but they look small to me even after I click on them. Do you insert the 600 x 600 photos as full size images or as thumbnails?

I always go with 600 x 600 Full size.
My old eyes don't work to well with the Thumbnails.
Time for some coffee.gif .
Any trouble just get a hold of me.
********anger guy.gif ***********Gator********

Thanka again. If you want to see the whole post it is under the beginner forum, making a paper shredder gear.

Back