Removing the chuck from the spindle 8x12 HF

jimisbell

Active User
Registered
Is it necessary to remove the spindle from the lathe in order to remoce the chuck from the spindle to change it to a 4 jaw chuck

In any normal situation, I would say definitely no, it is not necessary to remove the spindle. What exactly do you have going on? What’s the lathe? Why are you asking this kind of question? More info please.

The lathe type is stated in the title, 8x12 HF.

The reason I ask is that the bolts to hold on the tree jaw chuck are in the back of the flange and do not seem to be accessable with the spindle in the machine??? The book that came with the lathe does not show that the spindle and flange are separable.

Can you shorten an Allen wrench to access the bolts? Loosened evenly around, you might be able to pull the chuck away as you loosen the bolts.

You might want to put a reference mark on the chuck and back plate with a marker for re-installing the three jaw at a later date if the chuck is running fairly true in it's current position.

Can you shorten an Allen wrench to access the bolts? Loosened evenly around, you might be able to pull the chuck away as you loosen the bolts.

I will check this out.

- - - Updated - - -

You might want to put a reference mark on the chuck and back plate with a marker for re-installing the three jaw at a later date if the chuck is running fairly true in it's current position.

Great idea!! I hadnt thought about that.

I just looked at the manual on line. I’m amazed at the design in question. Never saw that before. In which direction are the bolts/fasteners installed? The manual shows the bolt heads facing out where they are accessible. Maybe you need to remove just the chuck to get at them, leaving the back plate on the spindle.

You need to use a short allen wrench, there should be one with the tools that came with the lathe. On mine I bought studs that reach to the back side of the spindle, so you can get a nut and washer on it. You will need to turn 3 bushings that fit in the recessed section hole in the spindle, I made mine so they were flush with the back of the spindle. As mentioned put a witness mark on the spindle and chuck so it goes on the same each time. It takes me less than a minute to remove the chuck now.

Bob

Back