[How-To] Removing riveted plates for lathe resoration

There was a kit!!!??? I just bought them individually... just the PZ-57 and 58.... man... I would have gone for the kit ...
Haha, no. I put that kit together, it's my go to kit for stripped screw removal. The 3 Engineer pliers I had, the rest of the kit I pieced together just a few months ago & put it in that case, not a perfect fit but good enough. Everything except the roto bit ratchet & pinning tweezers came from Japan including the Engineer case (as you know the Engineer pliers can be bought in the US).

On the left side of the kit is an Engineer tang through screwdriver (designed for hammering) & the bits are Engineer Bazooka for removing stripped cross/Philips & SHCSs.
20220527_165522.jpg

I tried leaving the data plates in place and masking them up to paint the panels…. It did not work. So I’ve ordered some screw removal pliers and will take them off and do it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried leaving the data plates in place and masking them up to paint the panels…. It did not work. So I’ve ordered some screw removal pliers and will take them off and do it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just know that sometimes nothing works and you are left to using a Dremel to grind away the drive screw's heads... I just had to do this on my Logan 820...

I tried with the plies, no luck, I tried making a slot and using a screwdriver, no luck.... had to grind the heads... so I will be drilling new holes to install it back when I am done with the painting.

Somewhere on one of these forums a guy posted how he took a pair of these cutters and reshaped the cutting edges on a grinder so they grasp the head of those drive screws close to the plate they hold on.
Pinch them hard and turn them out.
Supposed to work good.
I saved these old worn out ones for if/when I need to remove some.

Attachments

• 20220731_153724.jpg
    20220731_153724.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 10
Back