Removing reader from grizzly glass dro

Qdeathstar

Registered
Registered
Hello,

First post. I recently purchased a grizzly g0762 milling machine, along with some grizzly DRO scales. I am in the process of mounting the dro, and was wondering how to remove the reader. Do I have to take them apart and slide it out the side or should they just pull out. I gave them a gental tug but there was no give... I'm a little nervous as they were $1000 dollars and I don't want to damage them.

Also, if anyone has tips on mounting them that would be great. I think I have the x-axis figured out (i moved the coolant drain to the side of the table and plugged the existing hole so the dro mounts to the back) but I haven't even looked at mounting the quill or y axis dro, you get a lot of parts in the box but no directions...

Also, a different topic but I was framing the vice I purchased from them and found that on one side it is ground about .2mm too much (if I put an indicator on my vice, and move the x axis it will stay at zero until about 1/2 the way across the face of the vice, then jump to -.2mm and stay that way until the edge of the vice.. do you think I should complain to grizzly or do you think this is par for the course for Chinese products?

I was thinking it would be easiers and safer to mount the scales if I didn't have the reader attached, possibly smacking into things/breaking off

I'm assuming you have glass scales. I have replaced readers before & I agree with kd4gij most are very delicate. The end caps on some glass scales are sealed also. I wouldn't bother risking it if all you're wanting to do is for easy of mounting. Just leave the shipping tabs in place when fitting. You also need the reader installed anyway to mount the reader anyway.

Thanks for the replies, I kept the reader on for the x axis, I'll just stick to that for y and z...

The x axis when I move it feels a little "stickier" than moving my digital caliper around, is that normal?

They should come with a plastic strip that holds them from moving around to much. It also is the a spacer to get the proper spacing when mounting. The scale needs to be with in a couple thou. from end to end. Then it will move nice and smooth.

Thanks for the replies, I kept the reader on for the x axis, I'll just stick to that for y and z...

The x axis when I move it feels a little "stickier" than moving my digital caliper around, is that normal?
Congrats on the mill and DRO and welcome to HM! Like mentioned above by kd4gij, my glass scales from TPACtools came with blue plastic blocks screwed to the reader for protection. You could still slide them with the plastic in place, but kept them from banging around. Looking forward to your future posts and some photos of your DRO installation!

Bruce

Back