Removing Peel And Stick Sanding Discs

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Any good way to remove these things from an aluminum wheel instead of having to peel all the little remnants off then get the glue off. Or is there a better way to install them so they release better.

I use acetone or MEK to clean the disk. I think there is a special cleaner for that also. Another hint is not to leave the disk on after you're done if it's a hand sander.

Heat from a heat gun or the wife's hair drier. If sticky residue remains on the disc use xylene or lacquer thinner. An alternative to xylene but at a higher price is goof off, although it comes in an easy to use container.

I can't say what TO use, but I can suggest what NOT to use: I used GooGone to remove a stubborn bit of the adhesive one time and ever after the fresh discs don't stick so good in that one spot.

-frank

Isopropyl alcohol is good for removing most adhesives, after using the heat gun to remove the disk.

Biggest thing I have noticed is not to get them too hot when sanding/grinding with them. They are stuck well, but you kind of want them stuck. I never have had one go to pieces on me while I was trying to get it off. I just peel half way then fold that over itself and roll it around peeling the rest of it off. What little adhesive that remains I clean off with solvent, then use the old disc to scuff it up while it's running. It's never been an issue on any I've ever run.

If you do get them hot, or use them too long, you can either make the adhesive more stubborn, or even wear nearly through the paper and then they might tear coming off, but I haven't had to deal with that.

Use high quality discs from brands like 3M or Norton. The cheaper discs have primitive adhesives that don't release easily. The name brand discs also last longer and have more uniform abrasive. Also clothe backed discs peel off easier. I used to have a 16" disc sander, self adhesive discs weren't available in that size or too expensive so I used to to glue them on with contact adhesive. To remove them, I would start by pouring a little Lacquer thinner at the top of the disc then start to peel it away, adding more thinner as needed (it helps to have a proper solvent dispenser instead of pouring it directly out of a can). Using this method I wouldn't even have to redcoat the metal disc with the contact adhesive, just let the solvent flash off and your good to go again.

Wow thanks guys for all the good info! I have a feeling that I am guilty of plenty of heat and definitely for using too long. I have been using Norton discs so quality should be good, but wonder if age of them can also factor in.

+1 on heat gun then clean with lacquer thinner .

Back