removing paint from my asian lathe

I have used a Lepage product called Polystrippa and found it to work well. It is in a gel form and can be brushed on with a brush and it does not drip off. It rinses off with water. It's the best stuff I've found that is easy to buy. You can get it at Home Depot or Canadian Tire.

http://reviews.homedepot.ca/1998/973133/reviews.htm

John

GEE I am getting old For the life of me I have been trying to remember that name for 3 days ....

POLYSTRIPPA !

Re: removing paint from my asian lathe
After a few days I had time to get the rest of the paint off the lathe. I used a regular paint stripper product.

All parts clean up ok. no issues other than a few small casting holes. I filled them with bondo, cleaned and prepped all parts with acetone.

I was going to use an industrial 2 part Epoxy paint but it STINKS to high heaven and may not dry well in my unheated garage.

I just sprayed the first coat of "light Grey" Enamel primer and it covered well.

Sorry I got into the project and did not get many prep or pre paint pics.

I will wait a day for this to dry then start with the top coats of "Mist Grey" Enamel.

So far Im happy with the results.

012.JPG 010.JPG 007.JPG 005.JPG 003.JPG 002.JPG 006.JPG 003.JPG

I have found the best paint remover for my equipment is "Constant Use". Apply liberally, inhale constantly, experience a feeling of euphoria after use.

updates :

I applied the finish coats to all the parts.

I'm very happy with the paint and I think it looks good.

I noticed an issue with the spindle bearings and after some investigation I now need to do a taper bearing upgrade.

I added a better photo of the hi-low fork I made. I modified the design a little, I also counter drilled the attachment bolt and used red locktite so this time it will not come apart in the head.

I found that the head was full of casting sand and this is what must have ruined the bearing. I used a dremel to clean up the head.
My lathe has a split main gear. Compared to the extra nylon gear I have.

more pics in next post

009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG

here are a few more pics from last post .

I forgot to mention . I found a nice little mod for lubricating the lead screw pillow blocks.
Use a 3mm ball end cutter on a dremel to cut lubrication grooves on the inside

004.JPG 006.JPG 005.JPG

Last edited:
I posted today on the POTD thread but I thought I would post one last time here.
After a complete over haul, new bearings , complete paint stripping & new paint and a few new mods.
My 7 x 8 lathe is finally back together and done.

Yesterday I tried put my 3 jaw chuck on. I set up my indicator on the spindle flange and read about .005 run out on the outer edge. I reset the indicator to the running face of the flange and then the register of the flange and got a reading of .003 run out. I set up a carbide cutter and turn off the run out. Perfect I got it down to no run out. Then I tried to install my new 4 jaw chuck and dialed it in AAACCCK!! .010 + run out...

I must have made a slight center punch error in drilling the new stud holes as they were too tight for the 6mm studs. I had to oversize the holes with a cordless drill and a 1/4" drill. Something I did not want to do and was a little nervous doing. But it needed to be done. After drilling the holes again, I installed the 4 jaw and dialed it in to less than .0015 run out on the back of the chuck. With a little finesse I can dial it in to zero when I need to use it. Next the 3 jaw. after I got it installed I dialed it in to less than 1/2 a thou run out.
I must say thanks to Adam - Abomb79, mrpete222, oxtool and a few others as I watch new videos all the time for set up techniques. I need a mini Noga !

Today I finished the re build with my tail stock assembly. I had to re set the tail stock with a dead center in the chuck and a live center in the tail stock, matching the points with a threading fish to get within the ball park. Then I turned a piece of aluminum bar. 1/2" x 6" long. I took a .005 pass to clean the piece & took a reading caliper reading, .495. at the chuck but it was 1/2 thou over at the tail. Then I used a micrometer and got a better read. +/- .0005 taper . After final adjustments to the tail stock base and another .005 pass I got a perfect .490 along the piece.

Suddenly the lathe motor kicked out and the lathe jammed as I was using the auto feed.
I hit the reset and heard nothing but a loud HUMMMM from the motor !! ? ? ? WT ? I quickly killed the power.

After inspection of the change gears and drive train I found I installed the wrong washer on the 80 tooth gear and as the feed progressed it tightened the hex bolt / washer and the gear until it jammed the drive train . Whew !
Glad I didnt break anything..

:thumbzup3:
Then I finally got to make some chips !

I made a new aluminum carriage hand wheel and speed handles too.
(This is the first time I attempted to reproduce 2 copies of the same part. ) Success ! with no mistakes ...

This whole project has been a great learning experience for me. hope it helps others with an Asian mini lathe.
Oh , I forgot to install my carriage wipers and felts... get to that tomorrow I'm tired , time for a nap.

004.JPG

Back