Removing a stuck chuck

Make a large bolt with left hand threads that will go through the head stock spindle hole and be secured at both ends of the faces at the spindle hole. With that bolt you can hold fast the spindle and unscrew the chuck. With this method you will not be using gears, slipping strap wrenches etc. that could break something or at least get you high blood pressure. This method will just hold the spindle. The only down side is you will need to make the left hand threaded bolt. And sorry, a right hand thread will not work…Dave

Last edited:
Some years ago a friend of mine (he's in the UK now) had the same problem. He welded a mandrel to a piece of 2"pipe to form a t at midpoint of the pipe, in the pipe he put a piece of 35 mm round bar and welded the ends closed. I was then ran the lathe at slow speed with the t pipe going 'klonk klonk' and after about 40 minutes the offending chuck was loose. I'm don't know if it was any good for the head stock bearings though .

When I changed the bearings on my lathe, I clamped the spindle into a vice with a thick piece of leather wrapped around it. Only tightened
it enough to hold it. If you do that and bolt a "handle" to the adapter, you could heat the adapter up and then smack the handle with a hammer. That might shock it loose. If it slips, it won't damage the spindle OD.

Last edited:
Impact wrench turning the biggest bolt you can find which is mounted in the chuck??
CHuck

I tried the impact gun. Didn't work.
That's the first way I use to remove chucks.
Works most of the time.

Make sure to work the stuck threads in both directions, to get it a slight bit loose. After it moves a tiny bit, the outcome is certain. Sometimes, going in just one direction only tightens whatever is blocking the threads even tighter.

It may take several days to get the penetrating oil to work. As I said before heat it up the chuck mount not the bearing. Do it as many times a day as you can it takes time . Brute force will brake things . Go easy it will work if you take the chuck off the mount it will be better and the oil can be added in front too.

I tried the impact gun. Didn't work.
That's the first way I use to remove chucks.
Works most of the time.

Did you try to reverse the direction of the impact wrench. I have found that the shock of first forward then backward impacts done in succession
i.e. many cycles of switching forward then backward can remove nuts (chucks?) that applying just the single direction won't budge.

Never saw that candle wax trick.
I wonder if it might work.
Haven't had time to do anything to it.
Hopefully tomorrow.

Back