Removing a stuck chuck

A

abunai

Forum Guest
Register Today
I'm trying to save a Logan 927 lathe.
Got a majority of it home.
I could not get the chuck off.
I tried the Belt and leg method. Use a belt to spin the gear to impact the chuck lathe on the bed.
Didn't work.
So I took the head and chuck off together.
Heavy.
I tried the impact gun, and it didn't work.
I have it soaking with PB Blaster now.
No idea how long it's been on. From what I've heard, the lathe hasn't been used in at least 10 years. Probably longer from the looks of it.
No rust on the outside.
Suggestions?????
I don't have the bed......yet.
Hope to get it home soon.

Are you sure you know how it's held on? Cams, bolts, left hand threads?

If it were me, I would try heat with the understanding that I might cook the bearings. I would put a torch on the chuck and slowly turn the spindle while running water through the bore. once it was good and hot I would try and break it free. If that didn't work, I'd just go with cutting the chuck off. This can be started with a torch or saw/grinder, or simply by taking the jaws off, firing up the lathe and doing what we all try really hard not to.... run the tool across the chuck.

Alternatively, there is a spindle on ebay at the moment for $99. Depending what your time is worth, that may be a more sensible option. I find that since I have a toddler running around a lot of things I would have pig-headedly done myself can't be justified anymore because it might take 6 months to get an honest days work done on something.

I can see the threads through the face. It's normal right hand.
Don't see anything like a set screw or pin holding it.
Probably be easier to take off if it was still mounted.
Needed to just get it out. Don't know when the shack is being demolished.
I'll look for a good strap wrench.
picture attached.

logan004.JPG

I would use the pb blaster but I'd heat the threaded section up with a hand held propane torch. You don't need it red hot but enough you can't touch it about three hundred degrees. Then add the pb blaster off and on for several days as many times as you can. That and kroil the oil that creeps. It's good stuff. What the heat will do is expand the metal and eventually the pb will leach into the threads. Also Ck and make sure know one pinned the chuck to keep it on in reverse cutting. It'll let go really.

I'm trying to save a Logan 927 lathe.
Got a majority of it home.
I could not get the chuck off.
I tried the Belt and leg method. Use a belt to spin the gear to impact the chuck lathe on the bed.
Didn't work.
So I took the head and chuck off together.
Heavy.
I tried the impact gun, and it didn't work.
I have it soaking with PB Blaster now.
No idea how long it's been on. From what I've heard, the lathe hasn't been used in at least 10 years. Probably longer from the looks of it.
No rust on the outside.
Suggestions?????
I don't have the bed......yet.
Hope to get it home soon.

I had a beast of a time getting my chuck of my threaded spindle when I got my lathe . I luckily could unbolt the chuck from the back plate which i used a hacksaw blade on to cut through then used wedged to split the back plate for the last bit near the thread.

their was the tiniest patch of rust that had been holding the chuck extremely fast.

I've never had anything rusted so bad I couldn't get it off with solvent soak and heat. Even a nut and bolt that was buried underground
for 27 years in my backyard I was able (just for fun) to unscrew after a good soak and some tapping.
Patience, patience
Mark S.

I have it standing on end so the PB will, hopefully, soak into the threads.
Looking for a good strap wrench.
Also thinking of making something like tubocain made.
Shaft that goes through the spindle to hold it .
Trying to find a left hand thread anything here is going to be a problem.

Back