[How do I?] Remove This Nut. Lathe Disassembly

find/make some keystock that fits the slots
find a pipe that fits over those four keys while held in the slots

I have used this method , but reversed. I used an impact socket the same size as the bottom of the flats and the keystock is then hose clamped to the outside and then welded in place.
Not as strong but easier to make possibly.

can you measure the nut and let us know what size it is .

i have most of a set of sockets to fit these

Excellent! I was going to add that I often find a little heat from a propane torch can work wonders in cases like this. Did you find the nut very tight?
Mark S.

Excellent! I was going to add that I often find a little heat from a propane torch can work wonders in cases like this. Did you find the nut very tight?
Mark S.

Fortunately it wasn't super tight. I guess that is one of the bonuses of having everything completely caked in grease and grime....not much rust. The hardest part was keeping the shaft from spinning while I was turning the nut. The nut is on the back of the carriage feed handle shaft.

....by the way @Jmanb13 , nice photos. It's always easier to help when you can see what the problem is.
and thanks for the update...a great conclusion and reference for others in the future.
-brino

....by the way @Jmanb13 , nice photos. It's always easier to help when you can see what the problem is.
and thanks for the update...a great conclusion and reference for others in the future.
-brino

Sure thing! Describing something in text is rather complicated especially when there are lots of very industry specific terms that are not well known to the general public or to someone like myself that is very new to this field.

Glad you got it solved.
The way I have done this is by making a quick and dirty spanner wrench buy drilling two holes in a piece of stock and putting a couple of dowel pins through the holes to extend into the nut I am trying to turn. If the nut isn't crazy tight, this works well and only requires a drill and ruler. You'll want the stock to be thick enough to keep the pins straight, and if you want, you can tack weld the pins to the stock to make it more rigid.

Chris

Back