Remington 11-47 28 Gauge Repair

Cactus Farmer

Active User
Registered
I found a sad 11-48 in my favorite gauge,28, plain barrel. It is missing the friction ring and mag spring retainer plus is is WELL used. It came with a Cutts and a modified tube. Now I got excited because I have an engraved barrel with the spreader and a full choke plus it has a vented rib! I'm hoping the mag spring retainer is the same as 1100 and I built the friction ring out of bearing brass and it appears to work well with Winchester AA sporting clay ammo. Anyone else like these old work horses? I forgot, it has a home made trigger group pin that will be replaces as it appears to be the same as 1100 also. I was concerned as the friction rings are a wear item and since they quit making this model in 1968 parts are scarce as chicken lips. I found a friend who just happens to have the exact gun is almost new condition so a quick measurement was made and voila, machine magic was preformed. The original is a steel spring with a bronze coating,plated or spray metal, and rubs on the magazine tube. my shop copy may not last as long but it wasn't a big deal to turn it from some 1 inch stock. .900 OD and .740? ID. 3/4 inch in length with a slight bevel on each end to fit the barrel and spring follower.
more testing will be coming soon. Should I made a spare ring for when and if this one fails?

I've never actually seen one fail. Most of the time they just get lost, especially the the larger bores. Usually guys were constantly rearranging the stack for lo-brass, back to hi brass, so on and so forth and somewhere the friction ring gets misplaced.

Like most guns, they will shoot just fine dirty, but not when dry. I expect that if you keep that ring lubricated, it will last a long time. Probably until you lose it.

I have at least 6 of this model rem, the only bore I don't have is 20 ga. but I have several of other bores 2 in 28 ga. with different chokes. These baby's are sweet shooting and hard hitting . I shot geese at about 45 yds and no problem , of course it was back when lead was ok . For small game hunting it was my favorite to use lite to carry and would still kill anything in range. it's even lighter then my 1100 in 410 bore. Your post brings back lots of days in the woods and fields . Now as the others have said these guns only need a little oil to keep them cycling , the friction ring is to slow the barrels travel to the rear , to lighten the recoil and to cut the chance of damage to the receiver. The good news is the receiver is steel so not much chance of damage with the power of a 28 ga recoil. Enjoy your 28 if you don't like it send it to me I love the little babies.

What a sweet gun that would be.

I have a rem model 11 in 12 and a franchi 48 in 20 (same basic browning design) and would love an 11-48 in 28 gauge. Then my 870 and 760 rifle would all match for stock fit and trigger feel

What a sweet gun that would be.

I have a rem model 11 in 12 and a franchi 48 in 20 (same basic browning design) and would love an 11-48 in 28 gauge. Then my 870 and 760 rifle would all match for stock fit and trigger feel

They're I think the best autos they have made, I own all but a 20 gauge one ,plus several of the same bore. My two 28 ga. are my small game go to guns. Light to carry and can kill any kind of small game ,, I even shot geese at about 45 yards with an imp mod choke constriction by measurement. Now I just wish I could go hunting again , my dang body has left the building. Tight shooting guns too. My 16 ga. works good on pheasents in the field, yupp good guns.

I have a 11-48 in a .410 ga. Works most of the time. Missing the friction ring.

I have a 11-48 in a .410 ga. Works most of the time. Missing the friction ring.
Wouldn't take to much time to make one? it's not rocket science,take a few measurements and hit the lathe for a little while. Brass will do nicely . If you do try making a few and sell them on eBay. Pretty sure others need them too.

If the brass is too thin, you won't be turning it Easley

Back