Releasing a steel rod from concrete.

Looks to me that the rod is not in the hole, am I missing somthing ?
Should be able to loosen the hardware and free it up

Loosen the nuts on the eye bolts and get the tension out of the system, and I think you will have better luck. I believe we were all thinking you had a rod stuck in a tube in the ground. Thanks for the pics, that changes things. You still might need some penetrating oil on the friction surfaces.
He does, you are looking at pics of someone elses solution, which I don't see how it solves the problem

The pictures I included shows that to lock the gate or hold it closed you do not have any part of the rod going into the ground. The whole thing works as showen in the picture no more rod in the ground. There is some flex in the gate but it does not open without lifting the latch as before because instead of the hole in the ground it now uses the eye bolt. At one time we had two Newfoundland dogs and even with their size and weight the gate would not open. The hole in the ground is just there and not used.

1/4" masonry drill bit , drill beside rod fill with penetrating oil , wack it a couple times to set vibrations to work on rust in no time it will come out easily.

I'll agree that a pipe wrench is likely to severely mar the finish, as you'll probably have to reposition it a number of times. What I have used to remove rebar that's been pounded into the ground* is a pair of vise grips. Lock 'em on properly, and they only make one set of tooth marks. Then you can use them to apply torque in either direction. Once you have the bar rotating, you can also use the vise grips to apply upward pressure.

*Here in Arizona, the ground is so hard that election signs can't be held up by wooden posts. They all use ⅜" or ½" rebar. I'll sometimes go out after the election is over and pick up a free load of corroplast and renew my supply of rebar. Not only is it free, but it's also a public service - by law, election signs must be removed after elections.

Dont damage the fence at all, I mean who wants a rod that wont mach the fence. Call a concrete contractor and bust the whole drive way/side walk out and replace it. Would seem a shame to ruin the patina on a gate latch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a set of fence post straps or make some to grip the pipe.

Then clamp such that an upward force can be applied.

Apply force tap sideways to make viberations.

Also consider compression fitting at top of pipe and connecting to water hose to apply hydrolic pressure.

Last resort is with close cutting saw cut flush then grind it smooth.

Drill out inside of pipe to make smooth.

Locate a round rod that fits and insert it into what was cut off on gate and use it that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Pull the hardware off gates ,swing gates out of the way so just the rod is there in the hole,
Hook up an engine hoist to rod handle ,tap and pull

Back