Reinforce cut in tarp

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need to cut a tarp to allow a ratchet strap to go though. Need to reinforce this so it does not un ravel. I plan to make a cut 12" long to put a 4" wide strap through. the extra length is because i do not know exactly where the strap will tighten up.

I am thinking put a row of grommets on either side of the cut and then lace the unused area back up. Kind of like tying your shoe laces.

Is there a strong tape or ?? to add to the canvas before installing grommets? Other ideas?

I need to cut a tarp to allow a ratchet strap to go though. Need to reinforce this so it does not un ravel. I plan to make a cut 12" long to put a 4" wide strap through. the extra length is because i do not know exactly where the strap will tighten up.

I am thinking put a row of grommets on either side of the cut and then lace the unused area back up. Kind of like tying your shoe laces.

Is there a strong tape or ?? to add to the canvas before installing grommets? Other ideas?
Plain-vanilla duct tape won't hold up in the weather. I bought some clear plastic tape specifically made for repairing tears and cuts in greenhouse plastic that works pretty good. It's UV resistant and much thicker gauge than duct tape or (god forbid) office-grade sticky tape. The downside is that these days a roll of the stuff is likely to be pretty expensive. The roll I have is over 10 YO, surely a lot cheaper then compared to what it will cost these days.

As an alternative you might want to consider something like the so-called liquid nails adhesive and some scrap tarp material. The adhesive will get into the fibers and hold them all together. A thinner layer would be more flexible, if that's going to be an issue for you.

There is a tape that is made for the tarp. I had a pool cover that I used a HF silver cover on, I bought the tape either from HF or somewhere else, can't remember. It lasted quite a few years.

edit: I used it to cut the tarp to the pool size and finish the end so it didn't unravel and tear.

Last edited:
Typically, any hole in a tarp is usually reinforced with a piece of the same material on either side of the sheet (Id-est, on the inside and the outside).

Last tarp I had to do something like that on, I ignored the "same material" rule and used a section of (thicker than the tarp) vinyl banner material for the added strength and used a plastic oval "handle" I liberated from a crate to add further strength and abrasion resistance.

Just what I did, not saying you should, but "lots of ways to reach ten" as the saying goes..

We had some good results with "sail repair tape" from the local boat store.
It was not very expensive, and kept the fabric cover on our patio gazebo going for another couple years.

Brian

There is a black tape Harbor Freight has specifically for splicing out plastic tarps. Kinda expensive, but I had to cut it this week when the snow tore down my kennel cover. Been up over a year, still holding till I cut it.

i use gorilla (duct) tape and put it on both sides of the tarp, then cut the slot. It should be cleaned first and warm enough for it to stick to each other. Cant hardlt get the tape off after it's applied

Back