Reginding Lathe Ways

Another sign for me to give them a call and make the 2 hour drive ;)

@Nels, have you had yours done there? I've pretty much made up my mind that the 10L I purchased needs the ways and saddle redone for me to ever be happy with the machine.

Not me personally, but others have, and they have been satisfied.

My question is how much? I looked at having mine done and the local guy wanted $2k, I only paid $1500 for the lathe. TIm

It's a quality issue. I heard they charged one guy $900 and his lathe now holds. 002 all the way across.

How long were those ways that held .002"?

I priced grinding an scraping ways on my 1950 Utilathe 12x48 lathe (think heavy iron machine) from two shops here in the Pacific North West - the only two who do this nowadays apparently. Work included grinding and scraping the ways, and resetting the headstock and tail stock to factory heights, and flatness. Way way under .oo2 tolerances, more in the range of .ooo2 or less.

Price quotes were: $4000 USD in Washington, $6000 Canadian in B.C. ($5000 USD more or less)

Although this is 2x whatnImpaid for the lathe, Iam considering going ahead with the work as I would end up hopefully, with a new condition lathe, having equal,or better components and construction than a low end COTS import for the size and same price.

On the other hand, 5k is a lot of bucks for an old lathe... I guess it depends oh how well you value the machine you presently own....

May I hijack the thread?

Is there an individual or a company in the Central Texas area who does this kind of service?

Back