Regal 19x54

Mgdoug3

Registered
Registered
I got the lathethat I bought home yesterday. The lathe came with a lot of tooling and was 220 single phase. I had to switch plugs and clean up the machine. So far I'm a big fan of it. My old Clausing 4913 might not get used as often. Having the taper attachment will come in handy.

Attachments

• 20210123_233550.jpg
    20210123_233550.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 20210124_165426.jpg
    20210124_165426.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
I see that it has the type L spindle nose, GOOD! Otherwise it is the same as mine,

I keep forgetting to measure the chucks but I have a 3 and 4 jaw chuck. The 3 jaw is bigger than the 4. The lathe also came with a full assortment of 5c collets.

Lucky to have 5C collets, mine takes an odd ball collet.

I picked up the collets today. I have 1/16 through 1-1/16 and they go up by 64ths up to one inch.

I cleaned up the chucks today. The 3 jaw is a 10" Cushman and the 4 jaw is an 8" Skinner Horton. The more I play around with this lathe, the more I like it. I might not use my Clausing much anymore unless I need precise parts. The Clausing has almost 0 wear. I need to check the Leblond for wear.

I messed around today with threading. It's a little different than my Clausing. The Clausing dials measure the movement of the compound and is geared slower. The Leblond measures diameter and feeds the compound in more because it's geared faster. It's just what I'm used to and will take some adjustment.

I started with a 3/4" bar and turned it down so I had no runout in the 3 jaw. I'm just playing around so I didn't make any particular bolt. I selected 14 tpi so I could use any mark on the threading dial. After figuring out that the gearbox is marked DCBA and not like ABCD like I thought, the process went much smoother. I probably should have taken one less cut but I'm just tinkering.

I might buy a 5C chuck for my Clausing now and use the Clausing for thread cutting. I don't cut threads often so sticking to what I'm used to might be the way to go. It was fun with the Leblond though. Running it in reverse so I could smooth up the threads with a file was great. I don't do that with the Clausing since it has a threaded spindle.

Attachments

• 20210126_101000.jpg
    20210126_101000.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Awesome. I have a machine similar, but with a threaded spindle!It is good to see the there are some older machines that have the L series spindles. I am wanting to convert mine. Am in need of a L seiners spindle.

Bones

Back