Refurbishing a 2 foot box brake

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
This box brake was in a school shop probably twenty or more years ago and had seen it's share of abuse. I have used
it over the years and had welded on a cast iron part to return it to functionality. Looking over and cleaning up the fingers
on the brake, I found one that one finger was broken off and was at least 1/4 inch shorter than the rest. While giving it the once over,
one could see that someone had tried to bend the unbendable. I spent several hours cleaning the machine and giving it a light
coat of oil since there was evidence of a little rust. The broken finger I decided to lengthen back to it's original by adding some
weld and milling off the excess. I used some 7018 rod in 3/32 and had to fill and mill several times to get the finger to close
to what it had been in the past.
P1040156.JPG
It's not perfect but certainly will work fine. If the imperfection bothers me, I could resort to some tigging.
P1040167.JPG
P1040160.JPG
It's a Berkroy, a name I have not heard of.

P1040161.JPG
There seems to be lots of combinations one could use so quite adaptable to most any size box. The two foot long ones are
presently mounted in the brake for two foot bends.

Everything is usable now and ready for some box making. Having sat for the last several years in disuse, I'm happy that
it is in better shape now than when I got it. While not a big project, it was something I could complete in the dead of
winter. The sun is up now but it the old thermometer still reading 15 below zero F. :cool 2:

I will never know for sure but I would be willing to bet that the broken finger had something to do with the
broken cast iron piece I welded some years ago.

Nice grab; looks in good shape after the clean-up! Recognized it immediately - had this one for a bit before selling it off.

PXL_20210930_154510271.jpg

Just for fun I looked up Berkroy on the computer and see they made a 36 inch model too as well as
arbor presses. I found one listing that says the brake will bend 16 gauge steel which is .060 inch thick.
Looking the brake over again, I see it sits on an old aquarium stand that I made many years ago. I had
welded on a piece of 1/4 inch plate and put it on wheels, two of which are steerable. Apparently I
had cabbaged out a shopping cart for the steerable wheels.:) Anyway, it's a keeper and presently
resides over at shop "B". While it isn't something I will use every day, it's nice to have ready to go to
work for whatever comes along. I have a bunch of thinnish diamond plate aluminum which is fairly
soft so expect I will be making up a box or two with that and probably do a little TIG welding in the
assembly. Another project in the back of mind is to make a fuel tank out of 5052 aluminum and the
brake would be perfect for that.

Back