Refurbish 1943 9a

Capt. Jon

Registered
Registered
I started a while back with a refurbishment of a SB 9a from 1943. I can tell its been into before but the person I bought it from had owned it 20 years and it just sat in his garage. Here is an image of the apron I took a day or so ago and what I’m Finding throughout this machine. I’ve already cleaned up the apron and began re-assembly of all the components today. Looks much better cleaned and painted. I’ll try posting more as I go along.

Attachments

• IMG_5642.jpeg
    IMG_5642.jpeg
    609.2 KB · Views: 28
Here’s the apron after cleaning and painting. It’s amazing to me the crap I’m finding inside this machine. Appears that someone pumped grease down all the oil tubes and smeared it wherever they thought something turned And needed lubricant!

Attachments

• IMG_5643.jpeg
    IMG_5643.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5644.jpeg
    IMG_5644.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 22
I’ve, completely reworked the head. New wicks, and cleaning the head stock, etc. seems to be functionally complete. I also installed the head spindle tail thrust bearing upgrade to replace the fiber washer.

Attachments

• IMG_5647.jpeg
    IMG_5647.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 7
I’ve, completely reworked the head. New wicks, and cleaning the head stock, etc. seems to be functionally complete. I also installed the head spindle tail thrust bearing upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_5647.jpeg
    IMG_5647.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 1
I completed the apron over the weekend with exception to the half nut. The ones I currently have are worn out. There is someone on eBay that reworks with a brass or bronze insert to establish new threads. Anyone on the forum tried one of these repaired units?

Attachments

• IMG_5646.jpeg
    IMG_5646.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 6
These things collect all sorts of debris and particles in every nook and cranny. In addition to the strange stuff people use to lube them.

oh yeah, someone took a grease gun and pumped waxy black axel grease down a few of the oil passages. Here are some pictures from this project being reassembled.

Attachments

• IMG_5651.jpeg
    IMG_5651.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5649.jpeg
    IMG_5649.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5648.jpeg
    IMG_5648.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 7
Well a lot closer to the end. However I plugged the motor last night and it checked out on me (it’s dead) including smoking on its way out. Now to look for a reasonably priced motor to go on it.

Attachments

• IMG_5653.jpeg
    IMG_5653.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 8
Back