Recycling ceramic

rmrspindlerepair

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
Does anyone know of any way to recycle old ceramic inserts and ceramic balls from split bearings. I have collected for quite a while now, not really knowing if there's a better way of disposing of it rather than throwing it all right in the garbage. Can it be turned in for a cash value like scrap metal?

Thanks

I rat hole all that sort of stuff, that does not take up much space, for future projects. Lots of hobby machinists keep their shop much neater and less cluttered than mine, but I usually have what I need on hand to make my next project. I don't think there is any scrap use for them. Trash or treasure, your choice...

That's what I figured. We don't have too many garbage carbide inserts....but we have a couple hundred pounds, if not more of ceramic balls just tucked away in a corner. The boss always was hoping we'd come up with a better way than just throwing them away.

we have a couple hundred pounds, if not more of ceramic balls just tucked away in a corner. The boss always was hoping we'd come up with a better way than just throwing them away.

My suggestion was going to be slingshot target practice......however, this thread:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-first-machine-shop-project-lots-of-pics.56798/

Show a use for ceramic balls, apparently the facebook group mentioned in that thread has high-prices for long-spinning tops.....

Or forget making the tops and just offer the ceramic balls for sale to that group.

-brino

Back