Recommended books

Chucketn

Toxic Lunatic & Psychotic
Registered
I would like to start a thread on recommended books for the novice to expert machinist. I know opinions vary greatly on the value of books as learning tools. I for one learn more by doing than by reading. But I often get inspiration from books, as well as explanations of methods I can't find elsewhere.
I am in the situation that a lot of novices are in. I have no one close by to mentor me, or anyone that enjoys making stuff, hence my membership on several hobby machining boards like this. The only machine shop training I've had was, like many here, in High School, many years ago. I can ask questions here, and get lots of good info, but having a good reference in print is priceless. Plus, I want to build up my library to peruse during the cold months when I can't work in the shop.
I'm not looking for specialty books like building marine engines, or gunsmithing, unless that particular book contains good explanations of machining practice. And, I don't mean references like Machinery's Handbook, though I do have an old one I downloaded.
To start off, I will list the books I have, and what I got from them.
"The Gingery Series", by David Gingery, 1-7:
These books are great for learning rudimentary machining and fabricating skills. If I didn't have a MicroMark 7 x 14 lathe and an X2 mill, I would be building the Gingery tools. They provide much inspiration that one can make anything.
"Lathework, a Complete Course", by Harold Hall. It's been a while since I read this book. I just flipped through it again to refresh my memory as to what I liked about it, and found the answer to a project I'm working on, but that's another thread. See what I mean?
So, what books do you have, what have you read, and what did you like about them? What did you learn from them?
I have recently ordered "Tool and Cutter Grinding", by Harold Hall, and will soon order "Machine Shop Projects", by South Bend Lathes, and "Unka Dave Gingery's Shop Notebook" from Lindsay Books, but cannot yet give an opinion on them.

Chuck in E. TN

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized there is a "Bookshelf" forum here. I will explore that, but I still wanted to restart a discussion here.

Chuck in E. TN

There are many older republished reference works available from Lindsay Publications. Many texts are from the early half of the 1900's but don't let that dissuade you; the art of taking a chip from a piece of metal with a manual machine hasn't changed all that much over the intervening years. Sure, there are differences in materials, tool and machine capabilities that have arisen over the years, but generally speaking if you want to learn how to grind a HSS tool and machine something in your lathe or make a setup on your mill to make a part, it hasn't changed much from the basics you'll find in these reference books.

I've purchased most of them over the years, and find them a good value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't discount the old resources. Sometimes you can find old text books that are a fountain of information. One I always have within reach is "Shop Theory - Henry Ford Trade School" c. 1934, 1941, 1942. Don't remember where I got it, but it's a keeper.

Another good one for lathe work is "Textbook of Turning", written around 1970, which you can download in pdf format from a woodworking forum at

<Link removed to protect copyright>

Good point, David. I've removed the link. Anyone with Google can always find it like I did.

You got to have Machinery's Handbook, it is the bible of making stuff. Not to bad a price now, got a new large edition on e-bay for $52.

I very much enjoy my subscription to MEW - Model Engineers Workshop http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/ One can take out a print, digital or print+digital subscription. The advantage of one of the digital options is that they also include access to an online archive of back issues.
The magazine covers a very wide range of topics, from simple items for beginners to a multi-part series describing the construction of a complete computer controlled lathe - stepperhead. One disadvantage however, is that being UK based, MEW is sometimes a little Myford centric, but for the most part that is not too much of a problem.
Clive

Machine shop practice Vol1 & 2 K.H Moltreht Industrial Press are my go to for info. The work shop Practice series books are great for learning a specific area. Each of these is writen on one subject like tool and cutter sharpening, Hardening and tempering.... All different authors. And for odds and end, and little tricks I like Tom Lipton's Metalworking Doing It Better. (See him @ Ox Tools on youtube) The last book is for people that want to create motion. it is not a machining book per say but it is an idea book for mechanical movements. Called Machanical Movements Mechanisms and Devices. Henry T. Brown. Dover Publications. These are just some of the books I thought helped me. Different people will learn better from different books. But My favorite Read and resorce is The Hobby-machnist. More info here than in any collection of books. Mark

Back