Recommendation for Tool Holder Atlas QC-42

HarleyJack

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just picked this lathe up. Has a small, old school tool holder. I am new to machining. I have a lot of inserts, and holders I inherited from my dad but all are very big, for pro-type work. I am far from that. Should I get a simple 1/4 tool holder, or upgrade to a quick change with tool holders etc.?

Old school toolholders are fine to start with. Later, you might want to upgrade to a quick change style or even make your own like I did:
-Mark

Attachments

• DSCN0405.JPG
    DSCN0405.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 7
I assume by old-school you mean a lantern tool holder. I started off using a lantern and found it difficult to adjust and lacking in rigidity, probably because of my lack of skill. I changed to an AXA QCTP and my work improved and frustration level decreased.

I woukd recommend an axa qctp in the “wedge” style. thats what I put on my TH42 and it was a night and day difference from the lantern post.

Mostly a dramatic reduction in frustration and set up time. Change tools? Unlock the wedge and drop on the holder with the tool. Easy peasy. It also allows you to set up the holder for things like on center and its good the next time you drop it in the qctp.

My lantern tool post broke while parting some Al. Left me in a lurch. I had to dig out a old 4 station tool post and make it work. I purchased the wedge style QCTP not the slightly cheap piston version. I seen the piston tool holders get pushed down a little bit on first contact with the work which changes all the angles at the tool. My 2 cents!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgeable people on here that will answer all of your questions.

The real question is what is your budget? You will need lots of tool holders. I mean lots of tool holders. 20 or more. You can never have too many tool holders. If you have lots of money to spend then you can afford to buy a ready made commercial QCTP and all the tool holders you want.

If money is tight, then you should make a Norman style QCTP and its holders like markba633csi did. I also made my QCTP. Two reasons to make your own QCTP. First is the cost factor. For less than the cost of a commercial QCTP and a few holders you can make a Norman style QCTP and 20 holders. Second and most important IMHO is the experience you will gain by making your own. You are new to this hobby. I was in the same boat. You will learn about lay out. Boring to precise OD's and ID's. Drilling and tapping. Cutting the slot in the holders. You can do this on a lathe if you don't have a mill. All you need is a lathe and a drill.

Here is my thread that sets forth how to make a Norman style QCTP. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/norman-style-qctp.79705/

Back