Rechambering And Opening Bolt Face.

Booshwayman

Registered
Registered
I have a barreled FN mauser action chambered in 30-06. The barrel is a contour 5, and 26" in length. Can I ream the chamber to 300 win mag, and open up the bolt face. I have the proper machines. I haven't measured the bolt face yet, but thought I would ask the questions hoping to find some experienced answers and tips before hand. Thank You.

Booshwayman

Yes/No / is it worth it?
1.is it a military type FN.Commercial FN?
There are some FN actions that are of intermediate length,will handle an 06 but 300 win is questionable.
yes they have been done but?
There are many variables here.
Bolt nose mods done by grinder or carbide bit .
Things to consider A. magazine lengths, action rails, both face alterations.
a lot of mausers are looser than the back doors of May's cat house , Chey WYo
And still shoot very well and bring home the venison.
There are publications which you can do research on Gunsmithing / McFarland, Mausers /Jerry Kahnhauser / Mauser 96/98 by Walsh.
lots of info
noahtenbears

Noahtenbears, I have attached three photos of the action. The magazine holds and stacks 3, 300 win mag rounds just fine. I can see that the rails could be milled a little wider by the shoulder area of the case. The back of the action could be milled a little wider accommodate loading, and ejecting. What do you think?P8060044.JPG P8060045.JPG P8060046.JPG

Greetings Booshwayman
Great Pics of Mauser action.
By looking at the Pics it is an FN mauser (no thumb slot cut)(no stripper clip guide/early ones had)
Now Bolt action Rifles book by De Hass shows you maybe have a #1 action which has a magazine length of 3.3/8.
the number 5 / for 300 to 375 is 3.5/8 inches.
So yes it can be done BUT
magazine alterations are in order rails , bolt face, chambering.
Now If you have to alter the bottom feed ramp/remember that you are real close to your lower lug abutment/where your lower lock lug abuts against.
Be Careful
I hope this helps , I am not trying to sour you on decision making.
That a Butt kickin cartridge.
Noahtenbears

Noahtenbears, First of all Thank You for your kind responses. I am sometimes a little gun shy posting technical questions on sites like this because of the overwhelming authoritive sarcastic responses. It's not that I need another 06, or 300 WM, because I have plenty. But one cant pass up a good buy. I fitted a stock for this particular project, and will shoot it first before I decide to convert it. There's nothing wrong with an 06 for an in the woods rifle. If its a tack driver, I will probably leave it alone. I have other projects, however a retired man is always willing to make work for himself and spend his money. I may (after my BMG build,) purchase another BAT or Defiance receiver and build another 300 Win Mag. I value the magnums over the non-belted cases. But if this Mauser can handle and perform well behind a 300 Mag, why not? The learning curve is valuable to me. I bought a lathe and a mill this last spring, and am getting tired of putting threads on every piece of steel in the barn. Now, I fitted three loaded rounds in the mag, It was not too bad inserting them but had to push them back. Would you recommend milling the rrear side of the loading port on the action? and then would I have to send it away for heat treating? I'm just wondering about ejecting properly. Are you saying the ramp would need to be milled wider and at a greater angle? Can I mill down the inside of the rails to make the rounds fit better? What would you do if you wanted to convert this to 300 W M? Just lay it all on the table. The worse that can happen, is throwing it away or using it for a hammer, right?

Noahtenbears, First of all Thank You for your kind responses. I am sometimes a little gun shy posting technical questions on sites like this because of the overwhelming authoritive sarcastic responses. It's not that I need another 06, or 300 WM, because I have plenty. But one cant pass up a good buy. I fitted a stock for this particular project, and will shoot it first before I decide to convert it. There's nothing wrong with an 06 for an in the woods rifle. If its a tack driver, I will probably leave it alone. I have other projects, however a retired man is always willing to make work for himself and spend his money. I may (after my BMG build,) purchase another BAT or Defiance receiver and build another 300 Win Mag. I value the magnums over the non-belted cases. But if this Mauser can handle and perform well behind a 300 Mag, why not? The learning curve is valuable to me. I bought a lathe and a mill this last spring, and am getting tired of putting threads on every piece of steel in the barn. Now, I fitted three loaded rounds in the mag, It was not too bad inserting them but had to push them back. Would you recommend milling the rrear side of the loading port on the action? and then would I have to send it away for heat treating? I'm just wondering about ejecting properly. Are you saying the ramp would need to be milled wider and at a greater angle? Can I mill down the inside of the rails to make the rounds fit better? What would you do if you wanted to convert this to 300 W M? Just lay it all on the table. The worse that can happen, is throwing it away or using it for a hammer, right?
Ok sent you a private message,hope you got it.
Noahtenbears

Noahtenbears, Is there private messages here to view, or did you e-mail me at porterboyd@wiktel.com? I'm new to maneuvering around on this site. Look forward to hearing from you. Booshwayman.

Boosman

Have some reading material for you,guarantee you will like on your action mods.
Need on your private email / home address.so I can send book have three copys .
This book is out of print and I paid over $100. bucks for 1 . fpllowing week after I purchased book , I go with wife to an estate sale found two copies for $5.00 go figure.
On Walsh on your mods blueprints and all.
If you can please email address , am going out of country Thursday . So I can get relative to send book.
Noahtenbears.

Good luck with your project Booshwayman. I did a number of military 98 conversions to 300 Win Mag back in the late 80s to early 90s. It's a sweet conversion. You will have to open the bolt face to .535" (IIRC), relieve the extractor some and massage the feed rails a bit to accommodate the fatter cartridge and belt. That's the only mods I had to do other than the standard sporter changes. I even put double set triggers on one.

I really like the Win Mag but there's not much practical use for it here in Middle Ga. Please post up progress photos of your adventure.

Back