Recently Purchased Milltite Mill

toolman147

Registered
Registered
Hi... I'm a recent new member and I just bought a Millrite vertical mill. It was located in Ohio. I was looking to expand my metalworking capabilities in my home shop (retired electrician). Wanted a lathe or mill (most advice said lathe first) so I was looking mostly at lathes (lost a few due to beginners hesitation) and was gettin a little frustrated when I noticed the Millrite had appeared. Long story short, I went to look at it yesterday and bought it. It is in good overall shape, has the optional (factory) power table feed (the factory control for it has been replaced) and the optional "double swivel" ram to allow the head to be swung through compound angles. The factory front (cast) pulley guard must have broke at sometime and a homemade guard was installed (I'm going to TRY and find one). It also came with some tooling, vise, drill chuck and a extra (round wheel) that can be used in place of the factory handle to raise/lower the knee faster. It has the factory 3 phase motor, so I will have to gat a VFD for it (it was hooked up to one at the sellers shop). I was able to hear it rin and see it cut...it seemed smooth and quiet.
I hadn't thought of getting a knee mill at first (was thinking most decent "Bridgeport" style mills were too big and expensive) and was looking at some Precision Matthews mills (PM-727) since Quality Machine Tools is close to me. I was able to get the Millrite for just a little more.
Now I need any advice on setting it up and dialing it in when I get it home.
Here's a few pictures:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good, toolman! It also has enough tooling to get started. I am on my second Millrite. If you want machine specific help with it, ask here, PM me, and/or join the BurkeMills Yahoo group, which is active and helpful. You will enjoy the Millrite. Welcome to Hobby Machinist, too! You will find lots of helpful and friendly people here, too. Get that VFD and start making some chips...

Hi,

Bob is right I am a member of the BurkeMills Yahoo group and there is plenty of Millrite owners who will be able to help you.

Martin

Thanks guys... Guess I better get a Yahoo account.
Quick question...what brand VFD are you guys running? Any recommendations?

Thanks again,
Terry

A Burke Millrite was my first vertical milling machine. Good machines. Mine had the rotating and nodding head with the original B&S #9 spindle. Looks like you have a nodding head also. WARNING: Have a strong second set of hands to stabilize the head when loosening the head bolts to tram. There is no locking pin that will keep it from falling over.

OK...If you looked at the pictures you will see a "homemade" front pulley cover on the head of the millrite I purchased. Anyone know where I might me able to get an original cast iron type cover?? I'm sure you all know what it looks like, but here's a picture anyway.

The round bubble cast pulley cover on the top of the spindle that flips down to change the belt on the pulley;

$_1.JPG
Any info./advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
Terry

Here's a closer look at what mine looks like on the Millrite I bought: Gotta replace that!

IMG_3547.JPG

Thanks again!

Quick question...what brand VFD are you guys running? Any recommendations?
I'm running 2 VFD's from Automation Direct. They are not the cheapest out there, but the manual is in English and easy to follow.

I had one Hitachi that literally blew up on me. Shot fire out the side of it.

Back