Rebuilding a belt sander - advice needed

cederholm

Active User
Registered
Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post.

I want to rebuild this belt sander and perhaps add a disk sander to it as well. It takes a 6" x 48" belt. I need to build a table for it and hook a motor up. If I add a disk sander I'll need to mount the disk wheel (don't know the correct name) and build a table for that. The pulley that's on it is 6". My questions if you don't mind.
  • what size motor should I run? 110v or 220v? I have both in the shop.
  • what size pulley should I use on the motor?
  • Should I add a disk sander, and if so where can I get a disk wheel. Not sure if my lathe is big enough for me to turn one.
Thank you,
Carl

Last edited:
Well, motor voltage only dictates the size of wire that you drag to it. Higher voltage, smaller wire. In this case, it probably doesn't matter at all, I assume single horse or smaller?

Pulley diameter depends on the speed of the motor and desired end speed.

What can you do with a disc that you can't do with a belt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Mike. I guess end speed is part of my questions. This is just a small home shop and I plan to use this on mild steel. What speed should I be considering? And great question about the disk. I've just always seen them together, but perhaps you're right and I don't need it.

Also, I attached a photo so you can see what I'm working with.

I think a surface speed of 4,000 fpm is about right iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely rebuilt one of those a few years ago including a new replacement motor. The motor is 1.5 HP, 3450 RPM, 120V, 1 Ph. Sometimes you can find parts for these sanders on eBay if you're patient. I'll post a picture of mine. It may answer some of your questions. Also, there is a forum in the internet that is dedicated to old Delta-Rockwell machinery that can be a good resource. Don't remember the name of the forum anymore, but Google is your friend !

100_1733.jpg

Ted

Fantastic! Thanks Ted. If you have any more photos I'd appreciate it!

This might help. http://www.abrasiveengineering.com/spedcal2.htm
It's for grinding wheels, but use your drive wheel diameter as the grinding wheel size.
From there you just have to know how fast you want to spin the drive wheel.
I'll make some guesses here Say the wheel driving the belt is 3 inch and you have a 3450 motor
at 1-1 ist's 2710 sfm
1.5-1 = 4064 sfm the 1.5-1 is if your motor pulley is 1 1/2 times larger than your pully on the sander.

I guess I'm a sissy cause I run my 2x72 sander at 2700 sfm and I'm happy with it's performance.
But then I'm not making knives all day and in a hurry. I have a 1.5 hp motor on it.

Back