Reasonably priced USA made micrometers.

Yes indeed... they are clearly stamped and marked. The engraving is quite nice too. They have two lines of mictometers on their web site. One is "Fine Finish" and the others are assumed to be "economy" versions. One of mine is the fine finish and was made in 1994 (it came with the original box). The other looks to me much older. They both read and function very well.

Ray

Ray,THOSE are Tumico mikes? They don't look like any I've seen. Perhaps on the small mikes they didn't use the hollow frames? Also,I can't recall seeing a Tumico that wasn't polished or plated. Of course,I've only seen the older,original mikes.

I could be wrong but I think Tomico made the micrometers that Sears sold under their Craftsman brand back in the 70s. I've had one since then and still use it regularly. I have B&S, Starrett, Mitutoyo, ect, but I always use the craftsman for 0-1. I just like the feel of it and I'm used reading it.

Chuck

I guess I am very lucky. I probably I have maybe 30 or so micrometer's. Mine range from 1-inch to 12-inches. Most have been given to me by cousins or friends in the trade. Last week I stopped over one of my cousins who is a retired toolmaker and has decided to move to Florida. Anyway, he gave me a ton of mikes, a couple of depth mic's. One of them is a B & S with only one rod, but has detents for 1, 2 and 3-inch measurements. Oh, he also gave me a 12-inch dial caliper by Mitutoyo.

My neighbor, a retired machinist, stopped over yesterday and dropped off a couple of tools one was a best test by B & S brand new in the box and has never been used. The other is a 1-inch digital mic by Mitutoyo. It just needed a battery replacement. Some time ago he gave me his 1-inch Starrett. I did not like the way it worked so I drove up to Starrett and asked them to rebuild it. The rebuild cost was a little high $ 65.00, but I had it done anyway. I still don't care for it. Funny thing is I either use my B & S or my older Starrett 1-inch.

At this point, I have a number of depth mic's, some where around 6. Only 4 are in decent shape and usable.

Another cousin recently retired and just before passing away he gave me his best test indicator and a 3 mike set (from China) I can't remember the name off hand, but the set includes 1, 2 and 3 inch micrometer.

I guess because of my fascination with tools, at least that is my excuse, I also bought a couple from HF a mechanical digital and a digital.

I think the Mic I use the most is an old B & S 1-inch. It is nice to have choices. Oh, I have a couple I'm giving to a friend.

For what it's worth,I have not found Starrett's repair work to be infallible. I had a USA made Starrett dial caliper. I bought it brand new,and ruined a piece of work when I discovered that the inside measuring jaws were .008" OFF !!!!

I sent it back to them to be made right. After all, a $12.00 Chinese caliper is a LOT more accurate than that !! When I got it back,with the tag of the repair person inside the box,it was only .004" out!!! Somehow I got the phone # of a vice president,and asked him how this caliper could get out of the factory TWICE like that,still very wrong!!:) He had me return the caliper and instantly sent me a new one,that was not messed up.

The story is really a lot more complicated than that,as I only discovered the error AFTER the caliper was out of warranty. I had a Mitutoyo that I had apparently used for inside measurements previously,just by coincidence. At first I was not well treated by the repair department when I called them,being past the warranty. Finally I persuaded them to at least LOOK at the caliper to see that it had never been damaged or dropped,etc.. When they got the perfect condition caliper and fooled with it,they finally agreed that it had been that way from the factory. At least in the end,I got a better caliper out of them. Their repair woman was described as "One of their very best". What a foul up!!!:):):) I omitted my usual response of "I suggest you pay him(her) LESS" as I didn't want to aggravate the nice vice president who did honor his product.

I picked up an inside micrometer set from eBay maid by tumico great set, it was missing the long handle for reaching down a bore. Contacted them for a replacement, and they sent one out free of charge

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Back