Reasonably priced USA made micrometers.

tripletap3

Active User
Registered
Like allot of other guys here I had to start out with some cheaper Asian made measuring tools such as the 3 piece mic set for $50. My plan has been to slowly upgrade to better quality measuring tools as time went on.
Out of the blue last week a buddy of mine brought me a box of measuring tools that he no longer uses. Inside there were some Starrretts and a set of 1" to 3" mics made by a company that I have never heard of called Scherr-Tumico. Doing some research I found that they are still in business and still made in the USA. While there original intent was to make value priced mics my research shows they are just as well thought of as any Starrett and comparing the two side by side I have to agree. They look to be about half the price of most other quality brands new and even better I saw quite a few used ones on FleaBay in the $30-$50 range so if you are looking for a quality mic at the cheap price look at some used Scherr-Tumicos.

Wow... I wish I knew this earlier... I might just update my mics anyhow...

Ray

IMO, S-T instruments present a fair value for the money. Many people say you're buying a name with Starrett, and to a point, I can agree. I have never had any issues with the customer service with Starrett, and working at a sizable shop have had the factory reps in and put on loan some expensive tools to help us decide on some expensive purchases. I think that may be what you are paying for with the Big Names. But S-T, in my experience, builds a good quality micrometer. I've used several of them, and have no complaints. I would definitely have them over any of the common imports from Asia or Poland, for instance.

I used to think Tumico was a Japanese name, then I found that it came from Tu-Mi-Co which was short for Tubular Micrometer Company-a reference to the tubular steel frames they used.

Good stuff.

Well, I'll tell you in a week or so what I think of them. -Just bought a 0-1 and 1-2 from ebay. The 1-2" was a "fine finish" model. Both looked to be very low mileage units with original boxes etc...

Ray

Some of the larger mikes are made with tubular frames but mine are the 1-2", 2-3" and 3-4" so they are solid. Not sure why they are tubular or if that makes a difference. Someone mentioned that it was to save money but I can't see where that would make much of a difference in cost. The government has bought thousands of the S-T mics for shipyards and military shops and they end up in surplus, so I think that is the reason why used ones are so plentiful and prices stay low. Mine don't look as nice as yours Ray, but my buddy did get them calibrated before he gave them to me so I know I can trust them. I have always personally thought that the best machine in the world is useless if you can't trust your measuring tools. I haven't decided whether to repaint the frames in "crinkle paint" to make them look new or just enjoy the patina.

I have a mix of brands of measuring equipment. I have a Starrett 0-1" standard micrometer and a Starrett 0-1" pin micrometer. Both very good. But I also have an S-T 0-12" depth mic, some S-T dial calipers (both very good) and some S-T dial indicators and dial test indicators, in both .001" and .0001". All seem to be just as good or better than other brands that I have tried. In my opinion they are right up there with the Starrett stuff.

From what I understand, the idea behind the tubular frame was to make the tool lighter and easier to handle, especially the larger micrometers. S-T was, and still is a big name in the optical comparator market.

I do have to admit that I have a bit of a soft spot for Scherr-Tumico however. Seeing as they are a Minnesota company, just down the road a piece, I guess I have to root for the hometown team, right?? :thumbsup:

Before we put them on a pedestal, though, in fairness I do have to admit that S-T has sold some Chinese made tools with the S-T name on them, but then again so has Starrett. One of the S-T dial calipers I have was made in China, but it is very reliable and I often use it in place of a micrometer unless the measurement needs to be dead on correct. So far any measurement that I have done with the caliper has matched my mics when checked with them, thus it appears to be very trust worthy.

Usual disclaimers apply: I do not work for them, never have, nor do any of my relatives or neighbors. Batteries not included. No lifeguard on duty. No right turn on red. Your mileage may vary. Offer not valid in the continental 48 states, nor in Alaska or Hawaii. No fishing from bridge. Children under the age of 14 not allowed without an adult. Last call is at 12:45. No bids accepted after close of business on 2/30/2014. No bicycles or skateboards on sidewalk. Now, aren't you glad you read all of this drivel?? Gotcha!!!! :rofl:

Here are the Scherr Tumico mics I picked up on ebay for about $25 each. I got lucky and after a thorough cleaning, they adjusted very well at 0 and full scale. Testing with gauge blocks shows very good linearity. Readings in the tenths were about dead on. Nice mics overall and glad to have a coupe extras for other areas of the shop...

Ray

mics.JPG

mics.JPG

The best bang for the buck in micrometers are the Swiss made Etalon mics. They are all over eBay for really good prices because very few people know how good they are. The frames are much more rigid than anything on the market and they are a lot easier to read because of their unique split thousandth marks on the thimble. All of the mics I use daily are Etalon and if you check out my YT video on reading the micrometer you can see one in action.

BTW, this is only my opinion, but I never liked the feel of the ST mics.

Tom

Ray,THOSE are Tumico mikes? They don't look like any I've seen. Perhaps on the small mikes they didn't use the hollow frames? Also,I can't recall seeing a Tumico that wasn't polished or plated. Of course,I've only seen the older,original mikes.

Back