Reaming without a reamer?

jghm

Active User
Registered
I have a 0.75" hole that is worn in a piece of equipment that is too big to mount on the lathe, mill etc. If so it would be an easy bore job. The hole needs to be enlarged enough to round it out again, then I'll turn a new pin for it. So actual size isn't critical. Only that I can make it fit snug with a new pin. We're talking less than 0.1" total more diameter to make it round again. Thickness is about 3/4". Reaming would be perfect but I really don't want to spend $ on a one time deal. Any other ideas?
Thanks,
John

John,
Where are you located? I have hand reamers in that size range; I'll be happy to lend one or two out.

If there's room, burn it out large enough to weld in a bushing. Got a mag drill? Shadow's idea is solid. Done that a time or two.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!! Wawoodman, I'm in MN (Just updated that) a little far but thanks for the offer. Tony, no mag drill but welding in a bushing has crossed my mind, looking for another way if possible. Shadow I'm using your method to finish up what I came up with to rough it out.
Pictures to follow soon.
John

Here's what I ended up using. Digging through the box of misc. stuff that came with my lathe, I found this boring bar???? It's .75 o.d. so it fit in the existing hole fairly well. I made a bit for it that just barely extended past the o.d. Ran it through with the drill and it pretty much rounded it out. Next I used Shadow's method to finish it off. It's amazing how smooth and round it came out! Thanks again for everyone's ideas!
John

bar small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back