Ready to purchase a lathe

Looking forward to hearing more. I ordered a 10hp huang yang eBay vfd yesterday . If it shows up I consider it a win. I've almost figured out the wiring on that 7.5hp motor I got at auction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob I am bad on these forums. I speak my mind too fast and sometimes I forget the world has access to everything we say and I have more than once put my foot in my mouth. I remember once upsetting Matt by what I posted and didn t really think enough about it before I hit the post so I will just say I have spoken to many drive retailers and some quite a few times and found State Motors and control solutions to give me the best feeling like Eisen did buying the lathe. Also Drives Warehouse don t sell Yawaska and it is a premium drive with great support that as mksj has stated most factory machine tools use Yaskawa and also I liked there manual the best of all I have read and I am trying to educate myself so I can get through this. Not to say I won t need someone to hold my hand but I m pretty stubborn and by my next machine tool purchase I won t have to go through this learning curve again.
Kd are you going to get a 15 hp vfd and derate it or are you going to limit the hp through the vfd? Sound like you got another steal of a deal.

I'm going to try the 10hp vfd and do some testing. I'm on the fence regarding the 2:1 ratio and it is probably a sickness but I can be warned a 100 times not to do something and I won't truly believe it til I see it

The plan is to see if the motor works at all, measure amps etc and then try some different loads (tbd)

I don't have a distinct use in mind for this motor yet, other than to see if it runs or if I bought a good counter weight. The vfd has use regardless of the outcome . I'll go over the border to get it In a few weeks

No offense. I'm a pretty smart guy, but when I don't know something I don't hesitate to ask for help. I would have thought the Spedestar would have been good for this application since its rated for single phase input all the way up to their largest HP sizes. Very few other VFDs over 5HP (3.7Kw) are rated for single phase input usage. Then you have to derate them to about 3.4 HP. I had the chance to buy some big lathes (bigger than my 14x40) a couple years ago cheap, but they had 10HP motors and other than installing a large rotary I didn't see an answer at the time so I passed. The 5HP Spedestar was the only one I knew of at the time. I hope the Huan Yang can handle it. I'll definitely be curious to find out. If it does ok it will open up some avenues for machines for me.

Disclosure : in no way would I run a lathe of this cost / quality on a huang yang, I'd probably cost out 3ph fees to shop or rotary converter etc

My interest is in understanding capabilities of off mArket devices for non production usage

Kd I have thought about the rfc as well. Would be nice to be able to go out and just hit the power button and start making chips. Believe me I am quite nervous about the whole ordeal with the vfd. Too easy can things go poof and the thought of pulling my hair out has crossed my mind more than once but also I spent way too much money not to use the 5 hp and kinda seems silly to me to lose some with the rfc. Do I really need it? No but on occasion I may once I get myself out there and doing some work Knowing I am in a garage. Would hate to have a customer at the door waiting and seeing me having to back off on some bigger diameter work that s been welded for example. A big reason I pushed out on the lathe purchase. Maybe I can fool them until I am set up properly. I ve done alot of work around here moons ago when I first moved out here on the Cdn. East coast as a machinist. Small town and word travels fast. They know me but I ll only have one chance at it with them. Torque is everything and the vfd offers it!

Sometimes I wonder if I am a fool. Even an a hole at times. Maybe? I am like you kd I need to see it for myself. I ll ,get through it. It may take some time. Hopefully not too long I still need all kinds of stuff to even play. The fella that helped me get the lathe in the garage is coming over with his stump grinder tomorrow to help dig a 140' trench. Gave the word to another buddy who is the electrician to order up all the cable and such. The drive should be here sometime next week and planning on getting the vfd wired up next wkend. I think even that will be interesting as my buddy has wired up vfd s before but for industry. Around here it s fish plants mills and quarry s so he s never wired a lathe. I have some tooling from years ago and my old measuring tooIs l and to think I can do this and get set up. Spent about seven hours on a couple pairs of chipper blades that were out about 17 degrees before i could put it on the Tormek for 45$ just for a service for some machine work down the rd and hope he ll be back now there at the right angle Ya I am a fool!
Sorry for the edits. Forgot I m an idiot too!

Last edited:
This is all driving me batty! Up again at four thirty and can t stop thinking about this drive and what s ahead of me. Under alot of pressure at work too as were replacing the header in the curling rink. Brine is out of the floor and header welded up and ready to install. It hasn t been touched in fifty years and were hosting a National event this year.

Last edited:
Call Matt and talk to him about it.
If the VFD isn't going to cut it, you'll end up having to buy the RPC anyways, then you'll end up paying for both.

Back