Ready to purchase a lathe

I've got the 1340GT. Terrific machine. It's tough to do better. Have to say, though, I would have bought the 1440GS had it been available when I bought mine.

With this said, I gotta say --as good as the PM machines are and as great as the warranty and customer service are -- if I were doing it over. I would buy a better quality used machine. I would be looking for a clean Mori, Takisawa, Graziano, SAG, Cazaneuve, Hwacheon, Blue Line, Colchester or similar.

The PMs, great as they are, are "hobby" class machines. If you aspire to do machine work for a profit, you need a serious piece of iron -- heavy, rigid, high precision.

Try to find a machine with top quality chucks, taper attachment and QCTP. Additional tooling is sometimes offered.

Go to Surplus Record .com, and Google the above brands "for sale".

Then, pick up an Abene Universal Mill (Or any one of several universals) or a decent Bridgeport or clone and you're in business.

Whatever you do, don't blow all your cash on machines. Leave a LOT of $$$ for tooling.

Best of luck to ya!

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

I think when it comes right down to it. The real question is should I buy that 1340 GT. I haven't heard a bad thing about it and in my head I feel it would be there for me the rest of my life if it's taken care of. The only down fall is maybe its weight, wish it threaded a few more threads, and the fact the feed box is not in an oil bath. Three phase, single phase doesn't matter right now. In the end three phase will be it but now it's the lathe I am interested in.
It has always been the machine people refer to and all have seemed satisfied.
I wish I could take the time and have the means to pick up a used machine. It would probably cost me a fair chunk of change to get it to me and moving across a few provinces in a few years is a consideration. I am not very comfortable doing it sight unseen. Your right oldsquier about spending too much money on machines as they are just half the cost. This is why I have considered the pm 1236. Not an industrial machine but what some have done with it is surprising and impressive. One of our forum members for example has mentioned his work with stainless prop shafts and for example the finish of his threads after his 3phase and vfd was great. He has done a fair bit of work on his pm1236. I've done my fair share of prop shafts and threading 316 can show signs of weakness especially on your bigger diameter courser threads. .
I haven't been able to sleep past four in the morning for some time now. It's crazy frustrating not sleeping. Get up to go to the washroom and then I start thinking about a lathe. Monday I am getting this over with.
I am leaning towards the 1340 gt. Talked to Matt again and I value his thoughts and opinion. Told him straight I'll be buying a machine from him. Day in Day out long term Yes he said go to the 1340GT.
I wish someone would chime in and talk a bit about there well setup pm 1236. The Gs may be too close to the Gt in price after getting a quote for a 1340gt. The 1236 makes enough difference I think to maybe take a chance on the Chinese machine and keep some cash back for maybe a small mill drill and some tooling.

Mark, could part of your dilema come from not having a clear objective?

The requirements for a hobby lathe versus a money making machine can be quite different. The budget required to set up shop could be quite different as well. If you plan to play in a local 'niche market' it would help to do a bit of research on the players already there and what type of work is available.

The choice between hobby or business has to made early as they lead in different directions regarding equipment and finances.

I moved out here to take on a machinist job many moons ago. I am the only real machinist with a license around here. I know I can find work. The place where I used to work was too slow for a full time machinist. They have a welder that machines a bit. I spent most of my time at the mill as a mechanic. Took another job as a Zamboni driver for full time employment. I want to set up a hobby shop that will evolve into something to help out financially when I am older . It may take a decade to fill the shop. I want two principle machines a lathe a mill, some line boring equipment, a Tormak grinder and all the supporting machines like saws and such. Moving in about four years. I have a plan. Sold one of my motorcycles and another is up for sale. Need to get the house ready to sell. Want to move in a few years with a shipping container with some machines to get going. Will be moving to the Toronto area where I started my machining and know a whole whack of people in the industry plus its a huge metropolis. A great place to find a machine if I need one and I truly believe if I am willing to put the effort in it will be up to me if I am successful or not. Plenty of opportunity if person is willing. If I don't borrow I can let it grow. Might have to take on a machinist job for awhile. This is also why I want some equipment. To get my skills and math back up to snuff.
A terrible year for me. Mother passed suddenly and a good friend who is my future wifes brother passed away as well at 46 years old of a heroin overdose. I need the mental escape to help get me through these times and miss making chips.

I moved out here to take on a machinist job many moons ago. I am the only real machinist with a license around here. I know I can find work. The place where I used to work was too slow for a full time machinist.
A terrible year for me. Mother passed suddenly and a good friend who is my future wifes brother passed away as well at 46 years old of a heroin overdose. I need the mental escape to help get me through these times and miss making chips. If I don't borrow I can let it grow.

Moving in about four years. I have a plan. Will be moving to the Toronto area where I started my machining and know a whole whack of people in the industry plus its a huge metropolis. A great place to find a machine if I need one and I truly believe if I am willing to put the effort in it will be up to me if I am successful or not. Plenty of opportunity if person is willing. If I don't borrow I can let it grow. Might have to take on a machinist job for awhile. This is also why I want some equipment. To get my skills and math back up to snuff.

A great place to find a machine if I need one and I truly believe if I am willing to put the effort in it will be up to me if I am successful or not. Plenty of opportunity if person is willing.

Mark, sorry to read about your trying times. I understand now why there is a sense of urgency to your project. It sounds like you need a hobby real quick. It also sounds like you want to avoid be financially strapped which would only add to your discomfort. Fair enough.
There are better days ahead for you I am sure.

I humbly submit the following regarding the longer term:

You have been away from the machinist market for a while now. Even in a huge market like Toronto, your chances of employment would be greatest if you are qualified on modern machinery (CNC a must). There is no way you can equip yourself between now and then to update your skills by yourself on a hobby approach let alone move it all to Toronto in a few years. That's why I suggest that you separate your immediate objectives from your long term ones. A lot can happen in four years or more.

The problem with setting up your own business is that there are already a lot of people already established who won't take kindly to sharing the market with you unless it is to let you pick up the work nobody else wants. Even in large markets like Toronto you should expect awesome competition. So be diligent about separating facts from wishful thinking on getting your share.

Start by relearning the ropes. I suggest that you use your contacts to find out which employers offer training on the job, target a few of them and learn their hiring criteria. Your machinist experience would certainly be a plus on your resumé. While you are employed and secure financially, continue to evaluate the prospects of striking off on your own based on objective observations and how things look for you at that point in time.

Success in anything usually does not come without hard work. However hard work is no guarantee of success when it comes to business. Running a successful business requires smarts of a different nature. If you have never been in business for yourself you will be amazed at how much non-machining and unpleasant work there is to do.

I apologize if this is wasting your time but hopefully this might help you get some sleep, if only because it is so boring to read.
Good luck Mark.

I appreciate what you say and your thoughts are much appreciated also. There is no desperation there at all I have been thinking about this for a couple years. It's time to start somewhere. A lathe is a good start. I realize it may not be a pure industrial machine. I need to be able to hit numbers. Be there down for me when I am tooled up and supported properly. The Liang Dei Taiwan machines are from a few decades ago. Not the biggest but still its there. A reliable machine to rely on if a used machine is considered since it may be a project. I'd get something huge though that was cheap and right now moving weight costs money too.
When I talk about getting my skills up to snuff I mean it's also a hobby and for fun. I want to take on some things I haven't done over the years like make a reduction box for myself..
I know cnc seems to be the be all and end all but there are plenty of things done on manual machines. I also realize cnc has to be part of the equation in this modern day of machine tools. My first five years when I went through my apprentiship was in a screw machine shop, All I could take was a General Machist app. course. No Screw Machine Course offered. So I was a cam, gear,clutches and time all those tools kinda guy. Mostly single spindle Browne and Sharpes but also some six spindle Davenports spitting out parts sometimes in four seconds but hardly past 12 to 15 with multiple slides and turning turrets with milling attachments with auto feed all timed through cams , gears , trip dogs, mechanical clutches so I kind had an attitude like who needs cnc and and only through schooling do I have the experience which is zilch so I wanna go play and retro even maybe a rong fu rf31 with the round column and run a parallel shaft in a linear bear tied to the headstock for fun. and maybe learn a few thing and the round column because there are plenty of them and I may crash so parts are plenty.
As far as making money. I have a great job and work for a great town that I don't want to give up. My shifts don't start until three in the winter with five off after nine. I used to service alot of the Aquaculture Industry and Vessels in the Area. Three Inch Propshafts through the spindle after a half hour or so of balancing the rest of it on some homemade v stands another fifteen feet or so. All manual shop. The guy I worked for was Crafty. I had respect for him. He could do work for people and save them money in the mean time. What a place to work. I came from the city, and full shops and this big garage turned into a shop with quite a few machine tools. He would go to work and I would work at his place. A feed barge would be dropped off with a crane and I'd be told new pins and bushing and not one rusty bolt was turned. Looked at it and had at her. Learned quite a bit there doing mostly one off repair work. There also the guy up the rd that needs a shaft repaired. Have a small welder and now a lathe. Plan on making my own things in the winter and hitting the flea markets in the summer. If anything it will help get the word out.
I come here to an open forum for your opinions and I know myself I may forget sometimes. I know I put myself out there and always wonder how things are taken but value everything your are all saying. It is good that the negative possibilities are put out there for me to see. So in no any way form is it taken the wrong way. In fact thank you! It is a hugely costly endeavor. That is why I want to hone my skills over time. I think I have enough on the table now but I want to be like that old crafty Scotsman I first started with. Who told me to stand and watch the machine for a month before I do anything else. I couldn't sweep the floor unless he told me to. I think there Is a market for a Crafty Machinist. Especially if the machines are paid and everything is gravy. I'll see what I end up with. With what I can put back in. Don't want to borrow money.
I'll sum it up. A while ago I read something and a Light Went On. It was a quote from a fellow that Uses the name WigitMaster. It has become my Motto. and I am so greatful for his wisdom in this saying. "Don't worry about perfection, worry about progress. Or you'll never get off the ground".
So I am going to buy the 1340gt since it is the most professional machine I can I reach. I am going to have fun along the way that is why I joined this forum. I don't want the mill Calling me four in the morning telling me they have a machine down a grab my measuring instruments and see them at the gate by 5. No I wanna play a bit too. Don't need that kinda stress again.
Thankyou All. I know I have a Journey ahead of me!

As far as making money. I have a great job and work for a great town that I don't want to give up. I don't want the mill Calling me four in the morning telling me they have a machine down a grab my measuring instruments and see them at the gate by 5. No I wanna play a bit too. Don't need that kinda stress again. I think there Is a market for a Crafty Machinist.

Ok thanks. I understand your project better now.
You have a lot more going for you there in St-Stephen than I first imagined. I feel better for you already (except for the part about moving to TO). :)

After all the space out here I couldn't handle T.O. Out of the city for sure. Orillia but you never know where life may take you. I could win the lottery and buy that 16 60 Standard Modern and kick back and fly back and Visit the Girlfriends Grand Kids. I don't really want to move but I think it's the right thing to do. Grew up in North York so I better be able to escape in my own world and make some chips.
Actually working on an Older Toyota for expedition travel. Before we plant our feet in the Golden Horseshoe were going to take six months off and go travel. Shipping Container left on a friends farm.

Last edited:
Hi Mark, I'm in a similar situation. I have been shopping for a "new" lathe for over a year. Ultimately I would like a used industrial grade machine in great condition at a reasonable price... so far that has been elusive... If I buy new it would be the PM 1440 GT, However, if budget gets tight the 1340 GT will suffice. I don't think you can go wrong with a PM machine.
Good luck with your endeavor.

Good Morning, I'll try not to write a novel today. Can't believe how caught up in it I get and off on a ramble. Pretty much set on the 1340gt and ponder a thought that I may throw out there if I may.
The pm1236 is such a value at 2/3rds the cost of a pm1340gt with a dro. Almost as capable. It does come with a lot of stuff but most would need to be replaced but it can be done over time and understand it may need some tuning and has been proven with this setup. With 3 phase and vfd which can be done at a very reasonable cost. It would be a nice little runner I think. Don't need a vector motor with 18 speeds. It saves quite a bit which I can help gather tooling and such or put it towards a machine down the rd.
This is more like Devil's Advocate here. Pretty set on the 1340gt I thought I 'd put the thought out there for kicks and giggles.

Back