Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

Try a search for "Die Stock," that really is the proper term.....

Yes, it appears that the word "die" returns no results, however, if you search for "die stock," you *do* get results....

IMHO, a three letter search is valid. The webmaster apparently doesn't concur....

I recently bought a lot of bungee cords from HF, found out they stretch about 1/2 as much as the good ones and they do not have the tension of the good ones.

I use HF tools quite a bit. I have a couple of the 4.1/2" angle grinders and a chop saw. I find that HF tools are good for the price. With one exception that I've found 12" Compound Miter saw bought it for 134.00 and I also own 2 Dewalt saws that were 475 each and the HF saw hands down cuts better a lot more accurate so for me that was a good buy. I've even looked at their precision tools and yes they are not a smooth as my starrets but they do work well and I'm not afraid to give one to my grandsons because if they drop them I'm out 10 bucks or just pick them up and keep using them. I've been on a budget for a long time now so HF has helped me out. Oh yes one other thing Tool boxes they are a box that holds tools dont see the need to spend 2500 on a snapon box because my snapon tools and my craftsman tools fit real well in that HF tool box for 395.

Include the quotes when you type into the search box: "die stock"
You can also use Google to search a specific web site.
Type "die stock site:www.hobby-machinist.com" (this time without the quotes)
into Google's search box.
Another good tip for the search function on this site or any site, is go to advance search and click the box for " In title only" makes it easer to find what you are looking for..

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

I've bought a lot of HF tools and products over the years. Unless you are using them daily in a business most of the hand tools are ok. Especially now that many have a lifetime warranty with free exchange. The little seldom used things that you only need once in a blue moon are usually fine and serve their purpose (usually even cheaper than renting). Power tools... do some research, some work well for the price, some are simply junk.
Here's a few that stand out good, bad and in-between.

- 50' retractable air hose & reel. Great reel, ok hose. Item #62344 Thumbs up!
- Trailer Tongue Box. Item #62344 Very well made. My only minor issue is you can't remove the key while unlocked but otherwise Thumbs up!
- Wire Strippers/Cutter Item #61586. Can't beat the price. Work great. Thumbs up!
- Cable Ties (Any I've tried from HF) Break easily. junk. Thumbs down!
- Air Shears. Item # 98833 Keep your money no matter how cheap. Thumbs down!
- 4x6" Horz Band saw. Item #93762. Lots of info and users. A few mods make it a great saw. Thumbs up!
- 3/8" Torque Wrench. Item #93762. Worked a while then quit. But returned months later and replaced with new one for free. 1/2 Thumb!
- 12 Ton Press. Item #60604. Always works for what I need to do with it. No complaints. Thumbs up!

The electric Tachometer item # 66632 seems to work ok. Iv checked the speed on everything in the shop!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

#61737 electric metal shears (the kind that doesn't take out a kerf of material) work great. Labeled for 18ga mild but I've used them on up to 16ga without an issue. There is a slight trick to holding them on the correct angle (twist of the wrist type angle) so they will feed smoothly. Once you figure that out they just zip through the metal. Priceless for installing seamless metal roof panels with, say, 30 foot long runs that need to be trimmed to length for the last panel. $40 any day of the week before coupon. Invaluable, and live full time in my sheet metal tools bag.

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Back