Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I have quite a number of HF tools and gadgets but here's a few of the ones that I especially like.
1. The 4X6" Horizontal/Vertical Cutoff Bandsaw: I was doubtful of the quality when I bought it but was pleasantly surprised at how well this little jewel performs. It was the best thing I ever bought from HF. It cuts true every time and has saved me a lot of time and effort - and it doesn't take up a lot of space. I was amused they felt it necessary to put a sticker on the motor that says "motor".
2. Hand trucks: I have both the regular (red) and heavy duty (blue) ones and they get a lot of use. Both are well built and have held up under a lot of heavy lifting. I modified the blue one with four wheels across the axle for use on soft sandy soil and it works great! I'll show my All-Terrain Hand Truck in another post.
3. Chainsaw sharpener: Another cheapie I got on sale but it does the job well and is a lot quicker and more accurate than hand filing.
4. Lawn & Garden Tire Changer: Simple device but has held up well under some demanding use. I've used it with tractor wheels up to 12".
5. Work Gloves: I've worn out a lot of these $7 yellow leather leather work gloves but at the price they're a good value. More comfortable than heavy work gloves.
6. Tarkelp Orange Scented Hand Soap: This is the best hand soap I ever used, regardless of price. It's $1.99 for a 16 oz. tub and you have to use a little imagination about the orange scent but this stuff cleans the worst grime off your hands better than all the other "popular" brands I've tried over the years. My local HF was out of stock once so I actually ordered some from the manufacturer. And it's made in the USA!

Here is a HF tool that I use constantly, it's a little abrasive cutoff saw I have set up as a dedicated bolt and machine screw cutter. I took a bit of angle and drilled and tapped various sized holes and mounted it in the vise. The sheet metal box keeps the bench clean. I've cut hundreds of bolts and am still on the original blade. Cheers, Billchopsaw2.JPG chopsaw1.JPG

I posted earlier in this thread about the HF Black Toolbox on sale for $104.00
HF sent out a Email for this weekend July 3rd thru 5th that ends Sunday for that same Toolbox. I decided to get another one since the first one was such a nicely built box for the price and is already full.
They work great for holding End Mills, Reamers, Taps and hand tools for the Lathe.
So, I needed another one for all of my newly acquired Starrett tools and misc other tooling I've picked up lately. :D

2c.jpg

Truthfully, I've purchased very few things at HF. I'm 98% a Buy American guy. Heck, once I drove 60 miles to buy a "new" but older made in USA Milwaukee 4 1/2" grinder that I found on Craigslist. With that being said, I have bought a few hand tools from HF. I think the c-clamps are fine for most uses unless they get tightened too hard. I bought a couple spring clamps that seemed OK in the store, but when put to use, repeatedly kept popping off the items being clamped. The little pads didn't move properly. You have to look through the c-clamps and make sure you buy ones where the screw lines up properly with the casting. I bought couple die grinders from them and they seem OK, too. Just keep them oiled well. I haven't had any problems with any of the air "accessories" either. The ratchet straps are OK, too. I think all of the ratchet straps, even in other stores, are import anyway. I bought a set of 1/4", deepwell, "inside" torx sockets and they're OK. They're only 1/4", so they're for light duty anyway. I've never bought any power tools there and I probably won't. I think their tool storage cabinets are probably OK, too. I do think the Chinese chrome is sub-par, though, and will not last. I bought a couple sets of the micro-drill bits and they were absolute junk. Not only is the HSS junk, but none of them were sharpened properly. They wouldn't cut butter.

I've had great luck with the 115 piece cobalt drill bit set (my set is the 47653 the link must be a newer vendor). All have been sharp and cut stainless and 4130 very easily.
http://www.harborfreight.com/115-pc-cobalt-drill-bit-set-61886.html

Yes, I have that set also... and yes it has worked out well for me.

Generally... when the hole I need is not a precision size... I always use a standard fraction bit when I can... like in fourths or eighths... those are easy and cheap to replace... in quantity.

Pittsburgh "PRO" Click Type Torque Wrench (61276). Big whoopie coupon, $11.99 (normally either $21.99 or 29.99). FAIL.
Can't get it to click when set anywhere above about 50 ft lbs, and below that, the click is very soft.
Bought one at a car parts store for ~$24, and it clicks nicely and appears to have a nice, linear response.

I like mine. However I've had it for years so it is probably different. Mine chicks soft also but not using much pressure it is easy to feel. That light of weight is pretty low for 1/2" stuff anyhow.

hf grinder.JPG hf grinder.JPG there die grinder is okay. noisy. aluminum extension gets hot.

Use for debur holes, edges, etc.

Not recommended for heavy use.

Charl

Just got a second one of the air pencil die grinders the little red one. The first one I got is still working almost daily for a few hours for almost a year. It replaced a real Sioux one that died and I believe its copied off of it. I bought a second to have two people grinding at once. But the new one is no good the spindle run out is horrible and it won't shut off so ill return it and hope I get another good one.

Back