Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

Knowing the difference in tools and the reasons for buying from one place over another is the key... sometimes it's a purchase for an immediate need without a long term value and at others it's for a long term value without an immediate need. You should always be able to recognize the difference and be comfortable with it as the product cost isn't always the driving factor.

Last edited:
ever tool that was made in China I have had to work on
The good news there low cost and worth fixing right

Dave

Got the 10" sliding miter saw. Works ok so far. The directions say not to change the factory depth stop except if you dont set the depth stop correctly you will cut into the saws base or at least mine would have. And as a result of setting it so it won't cut the base it won't cut completely to the back fence. I just added a 1/2 piece of aluminum to the fence but that results in less cutting capacity.

As usual... HF sends these coupons in Email, probably every 2-3 days... or sometimes every day.

Anyhow, I get this coupon for the electric flyswatter... free (usually $3.99)... Recommendation: get one... it is fun and does work... <grin>

Anyhow, went to the store to get a free 'toy' flyswatter... and since it was raining outside... decided to wander around the store. I come across this adjustable reamer kit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=hand+reamers

Normal price is $72.99... the wooden case is damaged... marked down to $50.00... and low and behold... I have a 20% off coupon. So I get this reamer kit for $40 + tax. Brought it home and played with one of the reams... it seemed to work fine.

Most of the work I do is on AL... so if the blades of the reamers are not made of high quality tool steel... they will still cut AL.

The store I shop at.... is quick to mark things down... they do NOT like merch sitting around. Good for me... :)

Got the 10" sliding miter saw. Works ok so far. The directions say not to change the factory depth stop except if you dont set the depth stop correctly you will cut into the saws base or at least mine would have. And as a result of setting it so it won't cut the base it won't cut completely to the back fence. I just added a 1/2 piece of aluminum to the fence but that results in less cutting capacity.
ok, I'm probably not understanding what you mean, but there should be a plastic plate under the blade area that you are supposed to cut through. This makes the slot the exact width of the blade which allows for better support of the edge of the wood being cut, preventing tearing/splintering. If you're setting it so that isn't happening then yeah, the blade isn't going to do a full cut.

No its not really the problem. on this saw its already molded with the slot in it and if I ran the saw as set it would go through the end of the plastic piece into the aluminum casting. I may just throw a cheap blade in and do it as its the easiest way to fix it. I haven't really checked it out as I put a spacer in the back and used it as is. But I don't want the plastic loosing support if I cut through it. Ill check next time I use it.

I just remembered there's a rubber bump stop that I shortened a little bit which helped get more travel to the back fence but didn't fix it totally. I'm not really upset or anything by the saw. I would buy it again it works pretty well. It just needs a little work but for the price it was worth it.

I bought several items from HF. The one I like the best is their wooden bench with the Windsor brand name on it. It's the single nicest thing I've ever bought made in China. Went together very well, it's very sturdy, and it even looks nice. You can get them on sale for $139 quite often.

It's not a Roubo bench, but then it doesn't cost a grand either.

I bought one of their cordless 18v drills with a flashlight. I have an 18V B & D cordless, also made in China, with expensive batteries that it eats regularly. The one from HF, also from China, cost under $20 and the battery is still running almost a year later. Might as well buy the HF drill since both are made in China. The batteries are cheaper and they last longer.

I have not read through the whole thread.... however purchased this 20 ton press a week or so on sale:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-shop-press-32879.html

I think the sale was either $150 or 16o.

Added a set of 4" wheel, 150# each castors, and it seems a nice tool.

Note that the base may need to be widened a bit... if one rolls it around... hold onto it... it could tip.

Back